German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wanting to some day in the future show my female GSD in obedience, conformation, agility, herding, tracking, etc. Where should I start? What are your top recommended training videos? Please let us know!

·
Registered
31,379 Posts
Whoa! lol First pick a venue.

For obedience...Michael Ellis, Dave Kroyer, Denise Fenzi

Agility...Susan Garrett

Conformation - I don't know of any. You can look on youtube for conformation shows to watch.

Herding - again dont' know of any. There is only 1 SV style herding in the U.S. and that is White Clover Farms in NYS. Ulf has a facebook page and a website.

Tracking? - not sure if Dave Kroyer has any for tracking?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Whoa! lol First pick a venue.

For obedience...Michael Ellis, Dave Kroyer, Denise Fenzi

Agility...Susan Garrett

Conformation - I don't know of any. You can look on youtube for conformation shows to watch.

Herding - again dont' know of any. There is only 1 SV style herding in the U.S. and that is White Clover Farms in NYS. Ulf has a facebook page and a website.

Tracking? - not sure if Dave Kroyer has any for tracking?
Hehe yes I think I am getting ahead of myself. Thank you for the list!

·
Registered
27,243 Posts
bowwowflix has some good videos. Maybe subscribe for a few months....though you may find some good clips trainers are posting on fb (their own page and in certain groups).

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
A lot of kennel clubs around here do classes on a lot of what you said, breed handling, rally, obedience.

You might see if your state has a tracking club, it seems like they often do beginner tracking clinics in the spring.

Assuming you wanted to do AKC style tracking

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A lot of kennel clubs around here do classes on a lot of what you said, breed handling, rally, obedience.

You might see if your state has a tracking club, it seems like they often do beginner tracking clinics in the spring.

Assuming you wanted to do AKC style tracking
What part of the country are you located in, perhaps someone can recommend a good conformation trainer.
Washington State

·
Super Moderator
4,743 Posts
to be honest, I haven't watched all of this chap's videos but in this one, I was impressed with one of his final statements.."the one thing that two dog trainers can agree on is what the third trainer is doing wrong".

·
Registered
505 Posts
to be honest, I haven't watched all of this chap's videos but in this one, I was impressed with one of his final statements.."the one thing that two dog trainers can agree on is what the third trainer is doing wrong".
Thanks, I've added ferndog to my subscriptions. I'm always looking for "free stuff". Limited funds.
for beginners, new puppy owners, or those who are new to motivation, I like kikopup, & zak george. Donna Hill has some great vids too from the all positive crowd (I found her video's on LAT helpful for reactivity--I still use that technique often).
Chad Mackin, Tyler Muto, for leash work, understanding leash pressure, handling high drive dogs as pets (real world, practical skills).
Michael Ellis on leerburg--for understanding training methods (1hr theory of dog training), various drive building techniques, food luring, and tug.
Leerburg in general--lots of teasers to sell videos (understandably) but some free gems pop out too.
Kristin Crestejo--tricks, has step by easy step trick training, broken out in tiny chunks.
Jamie Penrith and Larry Krohn if you are even thinking of handling an e-collar.

Nothing beats a decent dog class, but there's between, after, filling in the knowledge holes, finding a trainer, knowing what's out there, forming an opinion.

I'm working on building toy-play/drive in new places, and found enjoyed this one yesterday.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts