German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I never play fetch mindlessly to just give her exercise but also involve that great brain of hers. I have run out of ideas of fetching variations. So far she is awesome in impulse control, stays, downs in full speed, searching, etc.
Any ideas welcome.

Super Moderator
Samson recently has been very enthusiastic about being sent out after his favorite toy.I'm planning on doing some directed agility type things with the toy at the end for the prize,just using objects around the house that can be easily set up and put away.Last summer when we had contractors here I fooled around with having him do broad jumps over ladders and low jumps over boards,etc.He definitely enjoyed it and seems very proud of himself to complete a "job".

Registered
Samson recently has been very enthusiastic about being sent out after his favorite toy.I'm planning on doing some directed agility type things with the toy at the end for the prize,just using objects around the house that can be easily set up and put away.Last summer when we had contractors here I fooled around with having him do broad jumps over ladders and low jumps over boards,etc.He definitely enjoyed it and seems very proud of himself to complete a "job".
I鈥檇 love to hear about the 鈥渆asily set up and put away鈥 ideas you come up with for indoors. With winter coming, ideas are like candy for me.

Sorry, I don鈥檛 have any fabulous fetch ideas. We are still working on two-ball and 鈥榗atch and drop鈥, which are great fun.

Registered
Different types of fetch objects such as frisbee? I have Codi back up away from me so she can catch it in the air.

Also not quite fetch but you can play with balloons. Throw them and have her try to bump them back to you.

Maybe get a larger ball and try to teach her soccer? No clue if that's even possible.

Maybe if you have several balls have a basket or hoop and she has to go drop the previous ball into the basket.

Registered
I taught mine to pick up a specific toy from the yard and bring it into the house. It always involves a lot of playing and running in between but eventually he can bring them all inside.

Super Moderator
@CeraDean not indoors!I've got three dogs that would get way too excited.Outside- a board and a log is a teeter,lawn chairs and pvc pipe is a jump,also a ladder.Catch a ball rolled off our steep roof,crawl under the picnic table or jump on top and do 'push ups'.Jump in the car and stay until called.Whatever silly things I can think up.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
I once gave her a large ball like the ones they use for Treib Ball. it made her OCD. But maybe after 5 years of growing up (not calming down) she has matured some what and I could try again.

Registered
@CeraDean not indoors!I've got three dogs that would get way too excited.Outside- a board and a log is a teeter,lawn chairs and pvc pipe is a jump,also a ladder.Catch a ball rolled off our steep roof,crawl under the picnic table or jump on top and do 'push ups'.Jump in the car and stay until called.Whatever silly things I can think up.
Mine love to play indoors but I don鈥檛 throw toys for them. What do you do when it鈥檚 either too hot or too cold or too wet to play outside?

Super Moderator
Mine love to play indoors but I don鈥檛 throw toys for them. What do you do when it鈥檚 either too hot or too cold or too wet to play outside?
All three are middle aged and are very chill indoors.They spend a lot of time looking out the windows on the porch or napping when the weather is bad.They don't mind a day off once in awhile.Only a blizzard or hard rain keeps us in for a long stretch.If it's borderline too hot,cold,drizzly we go out several times during the day for short periods and just walk around so they can snuffle around the trees and property line.

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
What about a frisbee?
I don't play Frisbee with the dogs. First, I am not good in throwing them and dogs have made weird and scary body twists trying to catch them as a result. Second, a GSD is too heavy to handle this impact on their joints. But that's my take.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts