German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
But make sure you do your homework & research. Most are on Amish farms & you can get a great OFA hip certified puppy (the parents) but visit, ask questions, see the parents. PA has a lot of issues with puppy mills

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
27,279 Posts
How about supporting a rescue instead of a puppy mill? When you only want to pay a minimal amount, rescue is a better option. Supporting a miller isn't something this board takes kindly to.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
where did you see anything about OFA, titles, pedigree on
greenfield.com?

But make sure you do your homework & research.

>>>>>> Most are on Amish farms & you can get a great OFA hip certified puppy (the parents)<<<<<<

but visit, ask questions, see the parents. PA has a lot of issues with puppy mills

·
Registered
51 Posts
When you click on the puppy it gives you the parents name. Some are OFA hip certified. Obviously they should come with documentation & will be more money. There are reputable breeders, & you can run into puppy mills anywhere. You have to do your homework. I have 2 friends who found great purebreds (1 a boxer & 1 a GSD) thru this for cheaper than you would pay in NY. But if you don't get to see the parents, if its unkept, ect then don't get a puppy from there. That goes for anywhere you get a dog. You could pay $2000 or $500 at a puppy mill, or a reputable breeder.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

The likelihood of you finding a well bred GSD puppy from a reputable breeder for under 750$ is very, very unlikely. Onyx'girl is absolutely correct; if you aren't willing to start your price at 1,000$, then go for a rescue where you'll pay a nomimal fee and get a dog that is a good match for you.

What type of research have you done into GSDs?

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
Your previous postings of dogs you were looking at, were 'iffy' as well.

Greenfield looks like a broker of some sort, they probably get a cut of any puppy sold.

No reputable breeder would advertise on a site like that.

OFA does not guarantee a good puppy.

IF your top dollar is 750, what if you came up with a medical emergency that would cost you a 1000 bucks to treat? Would you be able to pay that?? Most places won't take on a medical emergency unless the payment is there.

Your best bet is to go the rescue route as well..A little older puppy/dog that's been evaluated by a rescue / needs a home.

Reading back on your postings, it just sounds like your looking for a "cheap" dog, which is fine, but that initial cost is "nothing" compared to the cost over a lifetime of a dog..

·
Registered
71 Posts
Why don't you look in the classified section of local newspapers. Most are online now. Check out the pups/breeders there. You can get nice dogs by going this route that won't cost an arm and a leg. Some will be OFA certified, some will not. None will have the working titles the people on here insist on. But, there are breeders on this site that sell dogs for big money that don't have working titles or OFA certs either. Dogs with good temperament that are healthy can be found.

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
Will pay 750 dollars max.
Before you call or look at any breeders seriously you need to make sure you take the time to read all the info on these sites:

http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/welcome-gsd-faqs-first-time-owner/162231-how-find-puppy.html

http://www.germanshepherds.com/foru...nk-how-tell-good-breeder-website-bad-one.html

There are SO many puppy mills out there (Amish run puppy mills) PLUS major health and temperment (fear? aggression?) that an adorable GSD puppy at 8 weeks old can be an expensive NIGHTMARE by 9 months.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Why don't you look in the classified section of local newspapers. Most are online now. Check out the pups/breeders there. You can get nice dogs by going this route that won't cost an arm and a leg. Some will be OFA certified, some will not. None will have the working titles the people on here insist on. But, there are breeders on this site that sell dogs for big money that don't have working titles or OFA certs either. Dogs with good temperament that are healthy can be found.
Dogs that are sold on CL or in newspapers are either oops litters, potential puppy millers, or BYBs. The likelihood of getting a dog with a sound temperament and the likelihood of good health for its lifetime is slim...not saying a decent dog hasn't come from a BYB...but why would you take that risk?

I'd rather spend 1500$ on a dog now and minimal vet care over its lifetime versus 400$ now and 6k for a total hip replacement before the dog is 5, 500$ a month for a trainer/behaviorist due to genetic temperament problems, and 250$ a month for special food and medication because the dog has allergies.

Reason why pups are so expensive is because reputable breeders work very hard to breed dogs that don't have the issues listed above. Not saying a well bred pup can't turn up with behavior issues, HD, or allergies...but the cards are stacked in your favor that the dog has sound temperament and health.

Save up the money to get a well bred GSD...you will never regret it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have one of those $1500 dogs from a 'reputable' breeder on this forum. Temperament is awful, hip is bad, dog just turned one year old. I have an $800 dog from the classifieds that is everything the 'reputable' dog is not. Don't put all BYB's in the same bucket. Price does not guarantee a 'perfect' dog. What I can guarantee you, many of you would be very, very surprised if you knew who the 'reputable' breeder is. Can we say 'catfish' on the forum could be more accurate. Everytthing that is written may not be true.l

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
I have one of those $1500 dogs from a 'reputable' breeder on this forum. Temperament is awful, hip is bad, dog just turned one year old. I have an $800 dog from the classifieds that is everything the 'reputable' dog is not. Don't put all BYB's in the same bucket. Price does not guarantee a 'perfect' dog.
Isn't that the truth. Why so many fantastic dogs are gotten from shelters and rescues.

That said, going with a responsible breeder (and all that involves) certainly helps support someone who is TRYING to do the right thing and better the breed and educating themselves to do better with each litter. And if I'm going to spend any of my $$$$$ on a puppy it's going to be with one of those breeders.

:wub:

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I have one of those $1500 dogs from a 'reputable' breeder on this forum. Temperament is awful, hip is bad, dog just turned one year old. I have an $800 dog from the classifieds that is everything the 'reputable' dog is not. Don't put all BYB's in the same bucket. Price does not guarantee a 'perfect' dog. What I can guarantee you, many of you would be very, very surprised if you knew who the 'reputable' breeder is. Can we say 'catfish' on the forum could be more accurate. Everytthing that is written may not be true.l

I never said it wasn't possible for all the negatives to come out of a well bred dog, nor that every BYB/Puppy Mill/Oops Puppy is a horrible ball of medical problems and a tempermental disaster.

All I said was, going with a good, reputable breeder helps to stack the odds in your favor of a "solid dog" while the puppy from CL has the possibility to be a disaster in the making.

·
Registered
123 Posts
You should have a health and temperament guarantee, no? If not, then I suggest a different breeder. You are correct, $$$ does not necessarily mean a perfect dog. I've had a few from shelters that have been pretty remarkable and healthy thru their lives.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts