German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we just brought home number 2 (Liberty) yesterday. He is 7 weeks and a day.

Heres my dilemma.

We are crate training him however I am torn between two theories and would like people who have done this to weigh in.

Justice is 8. She has what ill say Never been in a crate (Maybe the first week of her life with us until she almost got killed by it). She sleeps with the wife and I upstairs in our bedroom.

I have set Libertys crate up in our Tiled sun room downstairs because its the farthest away from the kids rooms as I expected the horrid crying.

I am torn between the "tough love" theory and just leaving her downstairs or Should I set up a soft crate or another crate in the bedroom for him to sleep in so he does not feel "socially isolated"?

Opinions?

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
Jazzy was crate trained from day 1, really rough start at first. She sleeps on my bed but is crated on the main floor when no one is home. She is quiet when she is in the crate and with Delgado needing to be crated I feel it's better to crate both.

Delgado was crate trained at the breeders, super easy to continue that on. Still not fully trustworthy unsupervised, if he's bored he still may grab something inappropriate to chew. He has a large crate on the main floor for during the day and he sleeps in a Expen beside my bed at night, he can stay out but prefers the Expen.

Personally I believe in keeping the puppy in your room so you can hear if they want to go out, plus it does usually keep them quieter as they're sleeping with the pack. But it's truly up to you on what you want to do. I wouldn't start crating your older dog again just for the sake of the puppy

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
My puppies are in the house with me and, at night, are crated in the bedroom with me and my husband. Not in the bed, but crated in the bedroom. Later on, as adults, they are sleeping on their beds around our bed. We endure a night or two of whimpering and protest, but it passes quickly and they learn the routine.

A suggestion is to have a tired puppy at your bed time since a tired puppy is a GOOD puppy.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
I never had any luck leaving my pup in another room at night. All of my dogs sleep in the bedroom, never a peep out of them.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
I've never had any luck leaving a pup out of the bedroom at night. All my dogs sleep in my bedroom at night.

·
Registered
75 Posts
when i brought my pup home, i slept in the room where i had designated the crate to be. i slept in that room on an inflatable for a couple of weeks. my bedroom is such that a crate would be absolutely impossible. i have another dog that sleeps in my bedroom but was quite agreeable to sleep next to me during that time.

after a couple of weeks, i was able to move back to my own bed and kept the pup in a covered crate in the designated room. i think i got very lucky that she was able to sleep thru the night without potty breaks.

at 5 1/2 months, she now sleeps on a comfy mat next to my bed at night with no issues whatsoever. she doesn't snoop in closets, is rock solid on her bladder control, etc she has no ability to wander thru the house at night though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts