German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
This is my first time posting as a brand new shepherd owner. We picked up our 3 year old shepherd on Friday. She is settling reasonably well Im just looking for some advice. But first a little background. She has lived outside in a kennel until now as a breeding dog she is very submissive and her socialization and with people seems lacking although considering she's doing okay and seems to have bonded with me already
1) eating: she will only eat if I hand feed her and only lays down whilst eating. She doesn't seem to actively go to her food or water unless I bring it to her and even then is only eating half the recommended amount.
2) toilet training : as she has lived in a kennel this area is probably lacking although I wouldnt really know as she doesn't seem to go. In nearly 72 hours she's had 3 bowel movement(only 1 inside over night) but only 1 wee (also inside over night) I keep trying to take her out but she just doesn't seem interested. It seems like a really long time for her to be holding her bladder.

Any suggestions much appreciated

·
Super Moderator
5,860 Posts
She's just bewildered.She has no idea why or how she ended up in a new home.She will acclimate in her own time,six days,six months.....it takes as long as it takes:)When you take her out walk her around and let her sniff.It helps her to relax and gets her system activated.Praise and treat when she goes outside!Crate training will help if you aren't already.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Has she been checked out by a vet? It's not too surprising for her to lack an appetite given the change in environment, but she should be drinking plenty of water. Are you feeding her the same food as the breeder was? On house training, just take her out frequently and give her praise when she does go. It'll take more than a few days for her to become settled, more like a few weeks or even months. But if she isn't drinking much get her to a vet ASAP!

For now I'd recommend continuing the hand feeding. It'll help her calm down and increase your bonding.

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
One of my fosters didn’t pee for the first 24 hours. I was worried and thought she was sick, but she had a huge bladder. If she is drinking a normal amount, don’t worry too much about it. If she traveled a distance, she likely wasn’t fed before she left, so it can take a few days to start seeing normal body functions. When she is hungry, she will eat. It’s sad a breeder didn’t teach her better to live in a household, but be patient. She will be appreciative, as much as a dog can be, to be in your home and soon become comfortable. Don’t push her, let her take her own time.

I reread your post. She probably never learned to go to her food or water. Show her where it is, praise her for finding it. I suggest you help her become more independent slowly but as much as you can.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Patience patience patience.

My mother in law took in a dog who’s owner passed a few months ago, and the poor thing didn’t pee/poop/eat or leave her crate for almost 2 days.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all. I know it will take her time but i didnt know when i should start to get worried. The prevoius owner sold her to me with a big bag of food so thats the same. She is drinking some water but no where near as much as she should. I plan on ringing the vet this morning as due to the bank holiday I couldn't do it yesterday.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts