German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m looking for anyone who has actual experience with a particular breeder. I live in the middle of puppy mill country and I absolutely want a proven and healthy dog. I’m new to GSDs and would really like to find a breeder that knows their pups well enough and spends the time with them that they pick the pup for you according to what I want from the dog. I’ve searched so much my head is spinning. Any recommendations to check out would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
30,381 Posts
Widen your area :)

Sitz von der hose/ Olgameister - Marion NY (I have a dog from them)
Warkonhaus - State College PA (I have a dog from them)
Vom Haus Weinbrand - Ohio
Quellwasser - Indiana
Diehlomov - Indiana
von IBSO - Harrisburg ( I train with them and know many of their dogs)
Sturmfalken - Watertown NY (I know several of her dogs)
Marty Segretto just bred his female who is very nice - Lovettsville, VA

BTW - Nationals is in Pittsburgh this year. Come watch and meet people.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. I am going to make plans to go to Pittsburgh. I would have never know about that if not for you telling me. In the mean time i will check out some of the names you provided.

·
Registered
30,381 Posts
It's the USCA Nationals, 1st weekend of Nov. look on germanshepherddog.com

Wildhaus in Michigan
Joeri Veth in Pittsburgh.

You have many choices :)

·
Registered
833 Posts
I would look at von der Gill Haus in Ohio. I have no direct experience with him, but know he has been breeding German Shepherds from strong lines for many years with the goal of producing dog capable of police work.

·
Super Moderator
18,673 Posts
Do you have any in mind yet or are you looking specifically for suggestions?

Also, what are you looking for specifically? What are your goals for your future puppy/dog?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I’ve contacted two places in the last couple days and I can’t get a response. I’m not going to mention who because people are busy and I’ll give them some time.

I have a few places I am interested in. (1) is Vom Haus Weinbrand (2) Vom WestHaus
(3) Von Der Gill Haus

I doubt I will compete with the dog. I have lost both my boxers to old age in the last year and a half. I want a companion that will be able to go anyplace with me. We live in the country and I work from home. I’m with my dogs all day almost every day. I need a watch dog to let me know if something goes bump in the night. We have a pool that I would like the dog to enjoy. My wife and I try to walk a couple miles every day we can. I miss when the boxers were younger and could simply spend an hour playing fetch. I want a dog that is capable of being rock solid on obedience. That’s why I have gravitated towards a working line dog. Our kids are grown but still here at our house a lot and grandkids are starting to arrive. We have an active house and lifestyle to say the least.

Maybe these dogs are too much for what I am wanting? I’m more concerned with health and temperament than I am about a show winning appearance. The boxers were great dogs for my kids when they were growing up but they were not brilliant. They aren’t know as being clowns for nothing. I would just like a dog that is a thinker I guess.

Am I looking in the wrong place for these qualities? If so, what direction should I head in?

·
Super Moderator
18,673 Posts
Haus Weinbrand would be a good option for what you are looking for. Valerie's dogs are family dogs and live with small children so she is very picky about temperament. She also works and titles her own dogs and has been breeding the same mother line for several generations.

I am not familiar with Westhaus.

I think you might find Haus Gill to be more dog than what you want, but I have seen a few of his dogs (in sport) and they all had good solid temperaments.

·
Super Moderator
18,673 Posts
Better widen your area.

I think the OP can find what he is looking for in about a 5 hour drive which covers several states. He may have to wait a bit.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Haus Weinbrand would be a good option for what you are looking for. Valerie's dogs are family dogs and live with small children so she is very picky about temperament. She also works and titles her own dogs and has been breeding the same mother line for several generations.

I am not familiar with Westhaus.

I think you might find Haus Gill to be more dog than what you want, but I have seen a few of his dogs (in sport) and they all had good solid temperaments.
Thanks for taking the time for the thoughtful reply. Everything you said is pretty much what I have been thinking.

Haus Gill does have beautiful dogs but I feel like they might be too much for me. Westhaus is very close to me but I can’t get a response and I don’t really see anything except for what’s on their own website.

I think at this point I’m leaning very heavily towards Haus Weinbrand. I do very much appreciate the fact she raises them with her kids. I feel that would ease my mind as this dog is going to be around my grandkids it’s entire life. I’m going to try and touch base with her again this weekend. I don’t mind waiting however long I have to for the right dog.

Thanks again for all the responses.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The search continues. Does anyone have any knowledge of these dogs, Haus-Neufus ? They are long haired Dogs and I’m not opposed to that at all. I think they look great. I’m more interested in temperament than looks though. I just want to make sure I get a good healthy dog.

·
Registered
619 Posts
The search continues. Does anyone have any knowledge of these dogs, Haus-Neufus ? They are long haired Dogs and I’m not opposed to that at all. I think they look great. I’m more interested in temperament than looks though. I just want to make sure I get a good healthy dog.
Haus-Neufus are showline not working.Though, if you are looking for a showline, I'd recommend Alta Tollhaus. They are in Michigan.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I would take a look at Joeri over in Pittsburgh. I have heard good things about his male Ace herzen haus and recently saw a nice young female in a pet situation w kids and really liked her. Puppies will probably have some drive but he can probably steer you to the right pup.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Haus Gill does have beautiful dogs but I feel like they might be too much for me.

Keep in mind that the pups/dogs in a particular litter are individuals and generally there are several in a litter that are not top flyers or dogs that would be "too much." Breeders like Gill tend to want a person or two looking for a lower drive dog from a litter because they know all the pups are not going to be high drive or have strong aggression. I am not saying such pups have faulty temperament, but they are a better fit for a household pet than an actual working endeavor, and still have the qualities of a real GSD.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Gill is the one Kennel that has responded promptly and has offered to let me come see his dogs etc.. I Have had several people here included say his dogs might be too much for me. He is busy and his dogs are definitely in demand. I just thought maybe he wouldn’t be the best for a newbie to get their first GSD. He was definitely my first choice when I started searching.

I’m just getting discouraged with the whole looking for a dog process. I’ve spent hours calling, messaging and trying to make contacts. I’m getting close to going back to a Boxer dog at this point.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Since he was prompt and offered to you to come see his dogs, why don't you take him up on it? Good luck finding a nice boxer. Another breed that has been ruined.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You are right I think I will.

You are also right on the Boxers. I just lost my two at 12 and 13 years old from cancer. They have numerous health issues. That’s exactly why I am spending so much time looking for a breeder.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts