German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Glad to have found this forum!
I have been thinking about getting a GSD puppy for a while now and I think now is finally the time. I might be getting it early next year. I am thinking of a showline GSD male puppy somewhere around Toronto/GTA area.

Mostly for a house dog and companion. I can do with exercise as needed and would partake in training sessions too for basic obedience(sit, walk, stand, heel, recall on and off leash).

Please let me know if you guys have any suggestions, thank you!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Glad to have found this forum!
I have been thinking about getting a GSD puppy for a while now and I think now is finally the time. I might be getting it early next year. I am thinking of a showline GSD male puppy somewhere around Toronto/GTA area.

Mostly for a house dog and companion. I can do with exercise as needed and would partake in training sessions too for basic obedience(sit, walk, stand, heel, recall on and off leash).

Please let me know if you guys have any suggestions, thank you!
I just suggest avoiding a breeder from Milton and double-check with the CKC if their puppy's list is current, as sometimes they might be investigating complaints. Also, go with 'domestic', and avoid imports from Germany (unless you import from their vetted list of breeders that have been approved as extremely caring in protecting their dogs, health, and breed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just suggest avoiding a breeder from Milton and double-check with the CKC if their puppy's list is current, as sometimes they might be investigating complaints. Also, go with 'domestic', and avoid imports from Germany (unless you import from their vetted list of breeders that have been approved as extremely caring in protecting their dogs, health, and breed.
I think I know which breeder you are talking about and I am completely avoiding them.

I have shortlisted a few so to speak, and I was looking for some insights into them if anyone has heard anything positive/negative of them. Please find the list below
Loyalist Shepherds
Summerview
Amalaberg
Carrisma Kennels

·
Registered
Eska von den Roten Vorbergen
4,476 Posts
Be sure to Google any breeder you are interested in for complaints. Google is your friend!
I would also not recommend a breeder that breeds more than one breed of dog. For instance, there's a GSD breeder that also breeds doodles.. That's a huge 'nope!' to me! (money grab).

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
I wouldn’t hold multiple breeds against a breeder necessarily. The breeder of Cion’s dam, Von der Sigisliebe produces some amazing dogs and has multiple breeds. Warkonhaus also has chihuahuas. I think there is a breeder that gets recommended in here that also has multiple breeds. If the other breed is doodles, I’d definitely say no.

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
I met with a breeder before I got Nebbers who had GSDs and Mals. Can't remember the name, and obviously the breeds are fairly complimentary. I saw several of their dogs work at various venues and was suitably impressed (not that I'm a high bar or anything).

Doodles I'm always torn - oh, you have a mutt too? - but, on the other hand, I suppose every breed starts out as a mutt?

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Yes, if a breeder breeds both mals and GSDs, I'd have no problem with that.
Okay - I'm trying to warn against a certain breeder without actually giving the name, which is not allowed... :rolleyes:

Doodles are a total scam - they often sell for more money than purebreds.
They are NOT hypo-allergenic - the original doodle breeder found that out right off the bat. The first litter he bred produced only two pups that didn't trigger allergies. He was trying to find a hypo-allergenic guide dog for a blind woman whose husband was severely allergic to dogs.

They are NOT non-shedding. If you breed a non-shedding breed to one that sheds profusely (lab or golden) genetics determines the pups coats. Some will favour the shedding parent, some the non-shedding parent. And the worst thing is, with a coat that is halfway in between, the curly poodle-type hair will prevent the wooly undercoat from falling out. It will have to be brushed out, and if it isn't it will form mats that may require the dog to be shaved to the skin.

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
Yes, if a breeder breeds both mals and GSDs, I'd have no problem with that.
Okay - I'm trying to warn against a certain breeder without actually giving the name, which is not allowed... :rolleyes:

Doodles are a total scam - they often sell for more money than purebreds.
They are NOT hypo-allergenic - the original doodle breeder found that out right off the bat. The first litter he bred produced only two pups that didn't trigger allergies. He was trying to find a hypo-allergenic guide dog for a blind woman whose husband was severely allergic to dogs.

They are NOT non-shedding. If you breed a non-shedding breed to one that sheds profusely (lab or golden) genetics determines the pups coats. Some will favour the shedding parent, some the non-shedding parent. And the worst thing is, with a coat that is halfway in between, the curly poodle-type hair will prevent the wooly undercoat from falling out. It will have to be brushed out, and if it isn't it will form mats that may require the dog to be shaved to the skin.
Ah, I am not up on my breeders these days!

Oh I think doodles are dumb, don't get me wrong - I have friends who got one (labradoodle? goldendoodle? who knows, who cares) due to allergies and secretly feel sorry for them/kinda amused at the whole thing...I mean, why not just get a poodle if you have allergies and have to have a dog though I'm not sure if they're hypoallergenic either as thankfully it's not something I ever have needed to worry about (beyond my mom's inability to stay near the dogs and cats, but that developed AFTER I introduced furry monsters into my home - and she loves to visit on the balcony and go for walks with the boys).

Personally, I help keep any allergies at bay by being a poor housekeeper!...that's how that works, right? My mom has a real grown up home (aka looks like an adult lives there) and developed allergies and got rid of her cat, so I think I'm onto something. But this is a massive digression on my part.

What really bugs me about doodles - and this is highly petty - is the made up breed names people now give mutts. Years ago, back when we thought Neb was part beagle (the husky part was correct) I jokingly called him a 'busky' and 'heagle' and some people thought that serious and I was no no no he's a MUTT come on that's not a real thing. And that was before 'designer dogs' exploded to current levels. I think it's Toronto Animal Services has a dog listed and the breed in the blurb is 'Shepsky' (I think the listing itself says mix) but I was like THAT IS NOT A THING COME ON. I'll stop complaining now.

Reactions: Sunsilver

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Jarn, you don't wanna know some of the names I came up with for these mixes when they were boarding at the kennel. Let's just say shih-poo never got spelled correctly, except on the official paperwork that was given to the owner... 🤣

If I wasn't sure of the breed mix, I'd call it a "multipoo'!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts