German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am not sure if it's alright to post this here or , not. Mods please move if need be.
My father-in-law is looking for a female pup under 4 months.We are open to rescue,and have been searching shelters in Ohio. He has been putting in apps with rescues. He currently has a 100 lb. ,neutered 2 yr old male.I am 5'1 and his head is past my hips,lol. My father-in-law has nearly 2 acres of land,partly fenced,the rest will be completed this year,or the beginning of spring. He and his wife are in their early 50's,the wife is at home all day. A home check is fine. She (the gs) would be a inside dog,able to go in/out of the fenced area through a doggie door.My father -in-law has been at the same job for over 20 yrs,and is financially stable. He has vet references. He does want a PB,but does not care about papers,he will never breed her. If she is spayed great,if not his vet will do it as soon as she is old enough.He does have GS experience,his current GS is his second GS.If anyone knows of any pups please let me know. We are trying to stay away from breeders,there are plenty (somewhere,lol) in shelters,or rescue that need a home. I am hoping these pictures of my in-laws current GS,will post through photo bucket, he is beautiful.This is Bandit,2yrs. old. My email is [email protected],will watch this thread too.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have been on petfinder....He (father-in-law) actually put in a app to Shepherd Haven Recue in Grove City,OH. . He wants to see and find out more about this girl :

Kerstin has been with us for a little while. She has been settling in and learning some manners. She is a very pretty girl and has been through a resident training program, HOWEVER, do not expect this girl to be fully trained. She is going to take some work but we think that she is definitely worth it. She is particular about who she buddies with among the dogs that are here. She really likes people and we think she will blossom in a new home of her own. Kerstin is a HIGH ENERGY dog so she will only be placed into a home where she will get the exercise that she needs. She is already SPAYED!!***

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
Beautiful girl - older than what you were originally considering? The one caveat would seem to be the phrase "she is particular about who she buddies with." Important to have her meet your boy, just in case they don't hit it off.... being "particular" can run the gamut from getting along with only a very few dogs to getting along with almost all - with a few exceptions. Good luck to you - thank you for considering Rescue!

Anja SchH3 GSD
Conor GSD
Blue BH WH T1 GSD - waiting at the Bridge

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes ,she is beautiful. If we go forward my father in law will met her first. After that he will take Bandit. Bandit is a great dog,yet jealous at time. Does not like to share his master always,lol. However he is submissive at the same time. He loves to play with other dogs,and shows no aggression. So we will see...if it is not a match my in laws will not do it.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
She is so pretty. I hope it works out!

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well,is there no other pups out there needing help,or a home ??? I know pups go fast though. W e have found some born 2 days ago,will be ready the 1st week of December----we r not sure though. Think it was called open registratio(?) $700.00,or closed $600.00. Although, she said a good home was more important,and the least she would sell for is $350.00,and the pick of the liter. Said these are excellent dogs/backgroundb Will except $100.00 deposit,I talked her down to that,lol. So we are thinking it over VERY CAREFULLY ! She was extremely nice through emails,she is located in Mt. Vernon,Oh. This is not the mom/dad's first liter,she sent pics of previous pups born. They are beautiful adult GS though,and so are the past pups. We will see,we are still looking...........

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I offered $250.00-$300.00.she asked for $350.00,that is better then 6/$700.00 right. Not even sure what open/close registration is,lol. Does that mean papers ?

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
Then you are buying a puppy instead of adopting?

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No we have not committed to anything.We are open to everything,we want just the right pup,as she will be a forever family member.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Also,found one with a rehoming fee of $2000.00,guess she only knows German.That is where she came from......of course that is a BIG NO,NO,lol.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Why would Bandit's previous owner (breeder,I guess) tell us that he never sold us Bandit ???????

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Why would Bandit's previous owners ( thinking they are breeders,based on paper work) tell us they never sold us this dog ???????

·
Registered
751 Posts
Looking at an older pup/young adult as your father-in-law already did sounds like a smart move. They are the ones truly in need of rescue. Typically given up by someone who didn't know what they were getting into when they bought a GSD puppy. These dogs need a home, and an owner with GSD experience is jackpot.

When looking at older pups or young adults in shelters or with GSD rescues, it may take a little more time to find the right match with the resident dog, compared to just buying a puppy from a local breeder. But that little bit of search saves the life of a good dog.

Purebred puppies are a commodity with a commercial value, they are sold, and don't often come into rescue.

However, sometimes a mom with a litter gets posted on the urgent rescue board, and a GSD rescue saves their lives. It seems the abandoned mother dogs are often in poor shape, but with vet care ($$$) and TLC mom and pups turn out well. Have you seen the thread on one such litter recently rescued by Southern Cross?

If puppy: I recall Big Dog Big Hearts in upstate NY bringing GSD puppies up North. You'd need to ask them how many suitable applicants there are for these pb puppies - my guess is that they are easy to place. It's dogs beyond puppy age that are more difficult to place.

Or if a puppy really matters, he could consider a GSD mix. Shepherd mixes of all ages die by the thousands in shelters. Many have of them have GSD minds!

As you said, if he doesn't intend to show and breed the dog, there is no reason not to adopt and save a life. Good luck in the search, there are many waiting for you!

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
Yes ,she is beautiful. If we go forward my father in law will met her first. After that he will take Bandit. Bandit is a great dog,yet jealous at time. Does not like to share his master always,lol. However he is submissive at the same time. He loves to play with other dogs,and shows no aggression. So we will see...if it is not a match my in laws will not do it.
:thumbup:

Anja SchH3 GSD
Conor GSD
Blue BH WH T1 GSD - waiting at the Bridge

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have been a member here for awhile....
I have strongly suggested a older dog,as what he wants is a playmate for his current GS. He has it set in his mind that a Gs over 4/5 months is alreay set in their ways. Of course I know otherwise..lol.He is a wonderful pet owner,but has his own ideals. He has looked at afew mixes. I had thought he already mailed his app for Shepherd Haven,however it was just mailed Thursday. She may be gone before it gets there,and he is approved.....This is more difficult then I thought it would be,lol. I found their last GS.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I guess my father in law found his puppy: Jackson,Ohio
CKC Registered German Shepherds. in Jackson, Ohio
Here is the ad,
I have new puppies.. 5 little boys and one little girl. The first pic is the father. the 2nd and 3rd is the mother. These pups will go fast. They are CKC registered and are 350.00 a piece. male or female. If you are interested please text or call 740-988-7586 and i will take your name. I will then call you when they are four weeks old, If your still interested you can come pick your pup. Bring your own collar and pay a 50 dollar deposit. They will then be ready to go after their first shots, worming and are eating well on their own. I start them on solid food at 4 weeks.
What does CKC stand for? The parents are beautiful. My in law is going there Sunday to see her,and put a deposit on her,$100.00. He is so EXCITED!!!!!! He wanted a pup now,just wish we could have found a shelter,or rescue pup. However, those are hard to find. She will have a wonderful home/life. Now I want one too,lol.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts