German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a K9 unit that wants a pup to use for bomb sniffing. They are the ports authority. Behavior DOES NOT matter. She is the head of the k9 unit and wants to show HER suppervisors that a rescued dog can work and they do not need to buy from breeders. Please let me know if you know where there is a dog with a high ball drive. (OBSESSED with toys!) I am SURE there are ALOT out there :p

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
I would contact CNY German Shepherd Rescue. They actually place a good number of the dogs in the rescue with the NYSP. I'm not sure I've seen a rescue who has as good a relationship with an LE agency as they do. They might not have something now, but if you talk to them they might be able to find something.

ETA: My rescue girl is in SAR training....and another rescue from BrightStar is a certified cadaver dog.

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
Have you considered contacting a University Vet program? I have a friend at UF that pulls last chance dogs from the shelter to use in Research studies and then adopts them all out following their completion. I know she placed one heck of Australian Shepherd one year that is now doing Schutzhund. I'm sure other Vet schools have similar programs and they can usually give you a really good idea on the temperament of the dog after all the interaction.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Call local shelters and tell them what you are looking for, and then if need be go evaluate. Our SAR group uses TONS of rescued labs...in fact 3/4 of our team is rescued dogs

·
Registered
462 Posts
Does it have to be a shepherd? We have an 18month old chocolate lab here in Nebraska that has AMAZING ball drive, very very smart too. He came into our clinic because he was hit by a car. We did have to repair his leg, put pins in it..but he can run, jump play as normal....I would have loved to use him for SAR but we work on rubble sites and I was worried that it may have been a little too much? The pics they have up on him suck so if you are interested I can email some...I could help with transport too. He is just such an amazing boy, I would love for him to go somewhere where he can use his natural talent :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.