German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7,459 Posts
This forum has some phenomenal information! I have been going through some past threads on pedigrees, inbreeding/backmassing, and titling.

On a separate note, I have reached out to a local club to get more involved. Unfortunately, our province has just been issued with another stay home order due to COVID so any in-person meets will have to wait at least a few more weeks.

I have also put together a short doc outlining what is important to evaluate when purchasing a new German Shepherd. I made a copy and have enabled editing/commenting and would really appreciate any feedback Copy of German Shepherds

Thank you for all the help so far!
Since you are in Canada, look up the Animal Pedigree Act and also read the CKC regulations. I think it's called Breeders Code of Conduct?
It is illegal in Canada to represent an animal as purebred if the parents are not registered and you cannot charge more for providing registration. Nor can registration be withheld.
Microsoft Word - Code of Practice - English Updated Sept 2017 (ckc.ca)

Animal Pedigree Act (justice.gc.ca)
(h) offer to sell, contract to sell or sell, as a purebred of a breed, any animal that is not registered or eligible to be registered as a purebred by the association authorized to register animals of that breed or by the Corporation;

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
@Sabis mom Thank you for sharing that. I thoroughly went through the CKC website and the Animal Pedigree Act a few months ago. Sadly, the Animal Pedigree Act is rarely enforced and buyers don't know any better due to a lack of knowledge.

Do you know if there are still any events that are going on in Ontario during COVID? I've been looking to get more involved but I can't find any events that haven't been cancelled. Plus they just announced new stay-at-home orders.

@Kathrynil Thank you for the comparison chart, it clearly demonstrates the differences!

·
Registered
7,459 Posts
@Sabis mom Thank you for sharing that. I thoroughly went through the CKC website and the Animal Pedigree Act a few months ago. Sadly, the Animal Pedigree Act is rarely enforced and buyers don't know any better due to a lack of knowledge.

Do you know if there are still any events that are going on in Ontario during COVID? I've been looking to get more involved but I can't find any events that haven't been cancelled. Plus they just announced new stay-at-home orders.

@Kathrynil Thank you for the comparison chart, it clearly demonstrates the differences!
I wouldn't know, I don't do dog events. But since this time they are even limiting travel I wouldn't think so.

·
Registered
127 Posts

I train in IGP just outside of Toronto in Ontario.

Dog training is not allowed to run until after Feb 11 thus far at the earliest.

There are trials set with GSSCC (check out the website at GSSCC.ca) for 2021.

Your welcome to message me here if you like.

Reactions: Sabis mom

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
@Elisabeth Ann Parent Sorry for the delay, I missed the notification for this! I've gotten lost in some of the past threads, amazing information on here!
I'd love to come for a visit as soon as the lockdown is over! Where is your club located?

Unfortunately, I do not have a GSD to participate with yet. This thread was originally intended to help locate a suitable breeder so that I can participate in IPG in the near future, followed by potential hobby breeding aspirations if suitable. My first german shepherd passed away over 2 years ago and I only have my other boy occasionally.

Either way, I'd love to come and see the training first hand and get to meet some of the community! = )

21 - 25 of 25 Posts