German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,
This is kind of a long shot, since pretty much every quality breeder I ever knew is booked months in advance, but with at least a couple of months of work from home on the horizon, I figured this may be a perfect time to bring up a puppy. Maybe someone's not as lucky and had to back out of a commitment?
My ideal puppy:
  • male
  • from line that competes in GSD sport successfully
  • short haired
  • about 70lbs (on the lighter side)
Last two are nice to haves, but not necessary.

My home: 2 adults, 2 teenagers. Currently own a 10 year old standard poodle. Run or bike about 4x a week, which includes a couple of miles of outdoor and relatively human free off leash space. Take a couple vacations per year, outdoorsy type (hiking the AT).

I can travel in the midwest to pick up the pup. Indiana, Michigan, North Carolina, North Texas, Colorado are within range.

Appreciate any advice.

·
Registered
67 Posts

I have a male pup from him that is a great grand of the current World champion Willy. He has his kennel here and his his dad has one in Romania. Very nice dogs with great pedigrees and cheaper priced than most I have found.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Sandrin is located in Western NY, if that is within your distance. Not sure what you mean by GSD sport? There are lots of sports GSD compete in.

Sandrin German Shepherds

·
Registered
31,348 Posts
Wherever you get one from, I suggest you look into shipping. Travel is restricted in most states.

·
Premium Member
11,210 Posts
If you are looking for IPO as a background, tit looks like both kennels above are show lines........or possibly the one has a mixed show work litter....

I just saw someone in NC that had a litter with males...lots of males! Trying to remember who!

Lee

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for all the suggestions. Still searching.
As for GSD sports I'm referring to IPO, Schutzhund, IGP, French Ring, Mondio Ring.

·
Premium Member
11,210 Posts
Are you going to work the pup in a sport? I know a couple of litters/breeders - but probably not going to be the most suitable for companion without some structured training

Lee

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Are you going to work the pup in a sport?
Closest Schutzhund training is 2 hrs drive away, but I have a nice facility in town that trains obedience, rally, agility and nosework. We trained there for a couple of years with my poodle until we found what he needed most was an opportunity to run several miles after wildlife. I'm not looking for an alpha with the most drive, but I'd like a dog that's capable of protection work. Hopefully there's a good middle ground.

Edit: to clarify, I want to do Schutzhund training, I'll just need to figure out a way to make it work. Having a dog that is capable is the necessary step.

·
Registered
367 Posts

·
Registered
27,239 Posts
I know Stephanie (Glaurung) personally...her current litter is two weeks old now. She works hard to prove her program and titles her breeding dogs. Though the current litter dam isn't from her breeding and is an import, sire was bred by her. I look forward to see how this litter progresses!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts