German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanted to reach out and ask for some advice. I am a veterinarian in the Philadelphia area, put a Sch3 on my previous male, and a Sch1 on my current female. Outside of my own club, I was looking to see if anyone had any new ideas on finding great homes for my recent litter of working line shepherds (4 boys, 3 girls)? We have had some interest, but think some of these puppies would be best with experienced handlers. IF you have a chance, let me know your thoughts.

** Thoughts on how to find good homes for litters is allowed on the board. The advertising, even if subtle, is not.** ADMIN

Attachments

·
Registered
95 Posts
I’ve been having the same problem. I’ve got an upcoming litter myself and was worrying over how to find the proper home for them.

I reached out to my old trainer I used with the sire and I’ve immediately got half a dozen people interested that she knows will be a good fit.

Perhaps you know of some local or not so local competent trainers you can reach out too? You could also reach out to your local police or rescue groups. Unless they only purchase “import” like my local police do.

·
Super Moderator
18,686 Posts
Facebook is a good resource to use. Just screen your buyers well.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I have found that one of the best ways to find good homes is usually with the help of the owner of the sire, the breeder of the female and her parents (if not me, the breeders I have dealt with before), owners of siblings, friends in the sport. I get a lot of referrals from a friend who also breeds who gets more inquiries than they produce pups to fill. I know they also have referred people to other breeders whose litters she liked or helped choose the sire. My first female came from that breeder, and we use similar lines, and they own the sire of a few of my litters. Several working homes have already put IPO3s on my pups that they referred to me. In the litters from their male, quite a few of the placements of the pups were networked through them. Facebook can also help tremendously. Using both kennel pages, prospective buyers can network into pups that are from either the sire or dam, previous litters, etc. They can “meet” and see what the pups are like and this is a good reference. The owner of the sire has a page where owners of both pups from their female and mine interact and interested people can talk to owners of previous litters.

Best bet overall is with the help of the owner of the sire, especially if this is a first or second litter.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the help

Thanks everybody. We have been spreading the word and I am going to our club trial and will bring pictures/video. She is a very intense female so obviously they need strong owners. I have had some appalling calls. One guy wanted a sable male but never mentioned that he had a litter of rottweilers on the ground also. We have not had a litter in about 10 years and it is awful how the internet has changed things. I see people ordering and selling like from Amazon Prime. I want a blue shepherd, a panda colored one, large, small, lo drive, no drive, you name it. This is a one and done deal for us and we are keeping at least a male and may hold one of the girls. Trying to convince my breeder to take one since his female is retired and he has been spreading the word at his club also. I honestly have no idea how many breeders place 3 or more litters a year in suitable homes-but I am very picky.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts