German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have another thread in the health issues sub forum but long story short my now 9 mo GSD has had many GI issues already in life (Coccidia, Giardia, Hookworm) and has a very sensitive stomach now. Our vet has him on an Rx diet now for the next 6 weeks and then recommends trying to transition him off. The Rx diet is Hills W/D, he is on it for low fat high fiber and it is working but he's already thin and technically this diet is for weight management and low kcal per cup.

I am looking for suggestions on any high fiber, low ish fat with grain diets out there with limited ingredients that I can look into transitioning in a couple months. We had wanted to transition to raw eventually but I am not sure how to make that happen with his diet requirements.

THK has a limited ingredient with 8% fiber, 14% fat (Brave).

Also found some others but they are predominantly for weight loss although more kcal per cup than what we are on now

(10% fiber, 9.5% fat) SOLID GOLD Fit & Fabulous Low Fat/Low Calorie with Fresh Caught Alaskan Pollock Adult Dry Dog Food, 24-lb bag - Chewy.com

(10% fiber, 9% fat) BLUE BUFFALO Basics Limited Ingredient Diet Healthy Weight Turkey & Potato Recipe Adult Dry Dog Food, 24-lb bag - Chewy.com

(8.5% fiber, 8% fat) HOLISTIC SELECT Weight Management Chicken Meal & Peas Recipe Dry Dog Food, 24-lb bag - Chewy.com

(10% fiber, 9% fat) MERRICK Healthy Grains Healthy Weight Recipe Dry Dog Food, 25-lb bag - Chewy.com

Has anybody tried any of these foods or have any other suggestions? Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
57 Posts
The only brand on your list that I have personal experience with is THK. Nothing but good results on that brand for my dogs. My senior dog’s diet consists mainly of THK. She’s my sensitive girl who gets diarrhea from looking at the wrong food. THK seems to be the easiest to digest for her and gives her some pretty decent sized firm turds lol very easy for her to pass.

I don’t have experience with this line specifically but Earthborn Unrefined Smoked Salmon has a max fiber of 9.5% and is grain inclusive.

·
Registered
6,193 Posts
I would suggest THK too. Their grain-free fruit and veggie base mix with 90/10 beef is what I am currently feeding my food-allergy dog. You can feed cooked or raw meat of your choice with it! It's the easiest way to transition off of kibble IMHO.

We found out recently that mine has low-grade IBD, but it's the best-managed IBD his vet has ever seen in a dog without meds --- because of this food, I think. The food has likely been keeping it from raging.

They also have another option that is grain-in (but mine has food allergies, so it's no-go for him).

·
Registered
694 Posts
I was thinking that Dr. Bob Goldstein Wisdom food is something that might work. Even though the fiber is only 5% but if you look at the ingredients those are great sources of fiber. My dogs love it.
F08DA616-9779-400F-A7A3-C2F1E3218A1E.jpeg
0CF881B0-0A91-476C-93CB-83470F4345CB.jpeg

1 - 4 of 4 Posts