German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, we have been trying to adopt [or even purchase from a breeder ] in central IN. we are 30 mi N of indy. we are very experienced GSD owners. i even trained and worked a tracker for a rescue squad. most of the rescue dogs i encounter are mixed and i am not ready to deal w/ a mix. i prefer a dog who has had at least 3 months w/ his mom or parents and siblings. i believe it is not good for their socialization to to take them at the usual 8 weeks. i only want a male under about 15 months. i prefer the GERMAN lines w/ square rear [as opposed to the american sloped back]. any leads will be appreciated. we have a home w/ a fenced dog area 60' x 90' and keep the dog indoors and w/ us at night. TIA for any help.
PS - i'm new here. if there is a better thread to post this, please advise.

·
Premium Member
4,758 Posts
...:bump:...

WELCOME Crazzot! :welcome:

Be patient waiting for suggestions! There are some very knowledgeable folks on here!

A little more info will help!
*What activities or sports do you plan on doing with him.

*What type of lifestyle do you have that will include the dog?

*Tell a little about yourself/your family!

*What is your price range? (usual is $1,600 to $3,000)

*How far are you willing to travel?

*Are you willing to have a dog shipped?

Good luck in yours search!
Moms:)

·
Registered
27,245 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
GSD Rescue Indy has quite a few. They just took in 4 more this week that were owner surrenders. The lady who runs the rescue doesn't understand because they are all good dogs. From what I understand these dogs are mostly pulled from the kill shelter and there is no shortage if GSDs, in fact they just keep coming.

·
Registered
31,577 Posts

·
Super Moderator
18,687 Posts
Yes, it would be the litter with Dexter. Only litter I have. ;) Just the one male, though, and at this time I have two people wanting him. :)

Reactions: Jax08

·
Super Moderator
18,687 Posts
In the Indy area you have Quellwasser:
https://www.facebook.com/quellwassergermanshepherds/

Mike Diehl: Diehl's K9 Training LLC

And a few others too. Most of the breeders are not going to keep puppies around for 3 months and have them running with their littermates and mother. This serves no purpose and can actually be detrimental to the pups. If I have any pups longer than maybe 10 weeks, and sometimes before, they spend a lot of time separated from their littermates and are definitely no longer with mom.

·
Super Moderator
3,119 Posts
If you are interested in a sport or PPD type dog, you can get a green dog from VLK in Denver / Peru Indiana. They will have a lot to pick from. I would take someone along who knows what they are doing to test the dog for you. Green dogs are usually 12-18 months old and go for around $4000.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts