German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the pups is about 15 mos. now and I think its time to upgrade her collar to something nice.

I own a Leerburg Leather Leash, and have been pleased w/ its performance. I would like to get her a Leather Collar, preferably w/ an I.D. tag riveted on the collar.

I have looked around a bit, but wanted to see if any of you have some recommendations for websites to buy a good quality leather collar for a GSD!

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I really like http://www.fordogtrainers.com
Really happy with the quality of their work and prices are very reasonable.

Take a picture of her with her new collar.
Any excuse for a new picture... lol

·
Registered
598 Posts
Kodee has the Leerburg Leather collar (along w/the 4 ft, 6 ft and traffic leashes from Leerburg
and I love it. I ordered a stainless steel tag (the Rivet one in Medium size) from this site:

http://www.boomerangtags.com/store/list.php?A=G&ID=4

The tag is great quality, and was money well-spent.

I took his collar and the tag to a leather worker nearby and had him rivet the tag onto the collar for me, as the leerburg leather collar was too thick for the small rivets that came with the tag. It cost me $7.00 to have it riveted, but believe me, it's not coming off! If my contact info changes, they can remove/replace the tag, but I plan on Kodee having this collar for his entire life. It's great quality, and at 1 year old, he still has a couple of notches left to grow into if he needs to.

Before I got the rivet tag, I tried the SlideOn Collar Tag from the same site, but the regular size wouldn't fit on the thick leather, and the "double thick" tag was so loose it fell off everytime I took the collar off of Kodee. I was afraid I'd lose it without noticing and he'd be running around tagless.

I clean his collar and leash w/leather cleaner and conditioner about once every month or two, and it looks brand new.

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
I second Gun Dog Supply.

I have two of their $5 "field grade oiled leather" collars and they are wonderful quality. I got the first one shortly after getting my current GSD (so about 3 years ago) and the collar is as good as new, although the leather has turned considerably darker from being wet / dirty over the years.

·
Registered
964 Posts
My boxer has a leather collar from Fennell's Horse suply. I like their quality and they make 90% of their own stuff and a lot of our horse equipment.

I went with Leerburg with the shepherd because it is wider. I really really like it. Superior quality.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the replies thus far. WOW those PACOCOLLARS are NICE (but not on the wallet ..lol).

Once I decide and purchase her a new collar I will post a review and pics!!!

·
Registered
31,895 Posts
JB wholesalers and Drs Foster and Smith sell a collar made by Weaver Leather that is leather and lined with deerskin. I can have them on my dogs 24/7 or put them on when I leave, but so far they do not mar the hair at all. I use them on all my dogs and on my parents.

They are about $12. They come in two colors, but I do not think both places sell both colors -- I could be wrong. I like the darker with the light liner. And I use 3/4 in 19 in collars on my girls and 1 in wide 21 inch collars on my boys.

·
Registered
31,895 Posts
oops!!!! Don't call the Senior Abuse cops on me, Palleeeze!!!! LOL

1 - 12 of 12 Posts