German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My two love to play with a Frisbee. Problem is I can't find one that will last longer than 30 minutes. I've tried kongs, one lasted 40 minutes the rest less than that. I know most of you wont know what this is, but has anyone tried a brake diaphragm from a big rig?:grin2:

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
My two love to play with a Frisbee. Problem is I can't find one that will last longer than 30 minutes. I've tried kongs, one lasted 40 minutes the rest less than that. I know most of you wont know what this is, but has anyone tried a brake diaphragm from a big rig?:grin2:
Brake diaphragm-I would say no. I believe you will find that they could be toxic.

Not sure where you are but Shadows Frisbees came from Petsmart and are called grreat choice flyers. And no that isn't a typo. I got these ones for 5.99 each.
They are light weight, flexible and fly well. I bought 4, over a year ago and we have 3 left. Men, not dogs are responsible for the death of the fourth.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I've never had a GSD with any interest in a frisbee...that said we do have a Aussie who loves frisbee...any frisbee we got whether hard plastic or the softer versions designed for dogs.. never lasted with her......she'd pin them to the ground and pull/twist on them and eventually crack them.....it took quite a few "play" sessions but they'd finally split.....Here's what I found on Amazon
Easyglide Durafoam Disc 9"

and so far she hasn't been able to hurt it----although she's tried hard---looking at it you'd think it wouldn't last any time....she only gets a chance at it when we're playing frisbee with her other than that it lives in the garage----of course huge difference in her jaw strength and one of our male GSDs...as a side note it flies great.

·
Registered
4,870 Posts
I cut up an air bag from an air ride trailer once. He played with that ok. Thats pretty tough rubber.

·
Registered
7,256 Posts
I buy stacks of them and throw immediately so when he drops one, another one goes. They eventually rip from being caught but they last a few months each. I got some at the pet store and some at the toystore. I tried a driver disc for frisbee golf. They are a little better but they are $8-12 each.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
I've never had a GSD with any interest in a frisbee...that said we do have a Aussie who loves frisbee...any frisbee we got whether hard plastic or the softer versions designed for dogs.. never lasted with her......she'd pin them to the ground and pull/twist on them and eventually crack them.....it took quite a few "play" sessions but they'd finally split.....Here's what I found on Amazon
Easyglide Durafoam Disc 9"

and so far she hasn't been able to hurt it----although she's tried hard---looking at it you'd think it wouldn't last any time....she only gets a chance at it when we're playing frisbee with her other than that it lives in the garage----of course huge difference in her jaw strength and one of our male GSDs...as a side note it flies great.
We use the Easyglide Durafoam as well. Ziva has had one for almost 3 years and we recently bought her a second. We don't let her just sit and chew on them. But as far as flying and catching they hold up very well. I like the foam as it's not hard on the mouth and it doesn't hurt if there is a miss and it hits the dog. The first one was stored inside for the first year when not in use. Since then it has stayed in a wire planter we use for outside toy storage. It has survived freezing winter temps, snow, ice and rain.

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
Westpaw Designs Zogoflex disc has stood up remarkably well to my dog with psycho chompers. She punctures or crushes most toys, but this thing has lasted a while.

Plus, it floats!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004...g_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=TDG9A05R24A5TNS3RY9R
Add another vote for the Zogoflex! They also stay soft and flexible in very cold weather, come in a glow-in-the-dark version, and also work as tug toys.

They usually last about a year for me, but that beats the 30 minutes other toys advertised as "tough" usually last.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Be careful with the harder plastic materials which can cut the mouth up when cracked. Having a secondary toy on hand to immediately divert to is a good idea. The red Kong frisbee works for us, and it lasts okay. Just can't leave the dog alone with it. The black rubber is supposedly tougher, but doesn't seem to last as long..and I can toss the weightier red one farther. I'm going to try the Zogoflex disk, which is also buoyant.

·
Super Moderator
5,322 Posts
https://flic.kr/p/256xJtd

My big-boy likes to fold discs in half so the middle eventually cracks and breaks. But one I cut the rest of the middle out it still flies well and even becomes a tug toy. I never leave them out for the dogs to play with by themselves, though. And as a tug toy it does get a bit slimy. This is the outer ring of the Kong disc.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have a few of those rubber frisbees too, but I think he's talking about something that will hold up to 2 dogs tearing at it. I doubt any of the ones I've ever seen can do that. He's looking for a tougher rubber then toys are made of.[/QUOTE

Yeah exactly once one gets ahold of it the other has to run up and the tug-o-war is on. Last one was torn into 3 pieces, does that mean I need a third dog?

·
Registered
875 Posts
I have a few of those rubber frisbees too, but I think he's talking about something that will hold up to 2 dogs tearing at it. I doubt any of the ones I've ever seen can do that. He's looking for a tougher rubber then toys are made of.[/QUOTE

Yeah exactly once one gets ahold of it the other has to run up and the tug-o-war is on. Last one was torn into 3 pieces, does that mean I need a third dog?
Doubt you'll find any frisbee that flies well etc... that'll hold up to 2 GSDs playing tug :grin2:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I know they are out there, at a local dog park I watched people swing their dogs in circles with them, I wasn't at the park it self just sitting in traffic near by so couldn't ask. I was on a delivery and couldn't go in the park to ask.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Kong Flyer has been awesome for our little destroyer, lasted 6 months so far and still going strong. Daily use and he carries around the park when we go, I've never left him unattended just chewing away on it though.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My last 5 GSDS haven't been big on frisbee but my first was addicted. Greta was a heavy chewer that could split cow femurs. The only frisbees that held up were the original Nylabones even the softer variety. She would chew out the raised bone in the center but they would still fly and lasted a year. Sadly I'm told the newer ones aren't as durable.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So I ended up buying 6 Kong Frisbees. It doesn't matter what I do, ie..throw 1 or all 6 it seems they always both want the same one. Guess I'll have to invest in stock in Kong and buy them by the tractor trailer load.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts