German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!
My boyfriend, Andrew and I have a wonderful 7 month old german shepherd, Gunnar! He is the love of our lives and just the best! We didn't get him from a breeder because we really couldn't find any in our area, so we got him from a puppy store. We had our doubts that it might not turn out to great but he is perfect to us! Except for his timidness but it doesnt bother us that much anymore and he's growing out of it day by day.

So we saw a 8 week old gs puppy in petsmart a few days ago and we both looked at each other and instantly wanted another!!
But with summer coming up and him starting at a new police department, our ideal time to get another is between late August and early October.

We live in south jersey and are willing to travel 4-5 hours. BUT.. now were stuck between another german shepherd or a belgian malinois. We are defiantly set on a girl this time also.

If anyone could help us that would awesome:)

Thank you all so much!!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
If your considering a Mal you should go to some clubs and start checking them out. French ring/mondioring. They are Not for everyone. They are different than a gsd. You also need to figure out what your going to do with a Mal to keep them busy and stimulated. You should so this with a gsd also, especially if you go working line. If you go with gsd you need to decide if you want working line or show line. There might be a BIG jump in drive from a store bought puppy mill gsd to a working line gsd or malinois. You need to be prepared for what you are in for.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If your considering a Mal you should go to some clubs and start checking them out. French ring/mondioring. They are Not for everyone. They are different than a gsd. You also need to figure out what your going to do with a Mal to keep them busy and stimulated. You should so this with a gsd also, especially if you go working line. If you go with gsd you need to decide if you want working line or show line. There might be a BIG jump in drive from a store bought puppy mill gsd to a working line gsd or malinois. You need to be prepared for what you are in for.

i defiantly agree with you on that! I want the gsd, he wants the mal. but i know there mostly for work as i've never met anyone that has them as pets. we have gunnar in agility and volunteer search and rescue classes around here. so she'd be doing the same.

thanks tho.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
if i were going to get another dog my first dog would be
well trained and highly socialized before getting another dog.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I would look around here more. You'll see the top breeders names stand out. At least they do to me. Consider shipping a puppy, that way u don't limit yourself geographically. Glad to hear your pup is involved in agility and sar!

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
I would have Gunnar solid first . See how that timidness manifests itself as Gunnar matures and has drives which you have not seen yet . There may be challenges which will take up your time , patience and skills .
Why not wait a year or two . Get your experience with Gunnar . Pups are cute aren't they.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts