German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on good breeders that breed female working line GSDs that are 80-100Lbs. I love my current girl but she will probably only be ~65 pounds and just seems so small. Looking to get another girl that ends up being a bit bigger. Any suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks!
Jeremy

·
Super Moderator
1,598 Posts
There are no "good" or reputable breeders of working line GSD's that would purposefully breed a female to be 80 - 100 lbs.

Run from any breeder that brags about the size or the oversized dogs that they breed. If all a breeder can sell or promote their dogs on is large size, well they are not a reputable breeder. It raises all kinds of red flags in my mind when a breeder discusses size as it is a good thing. A GSD is a medium sized dog and a 65 lb female is perfect. Males should be in the 75-85lb range. Breeders that breed for size are just appealing to a buyer's ego.

With GSD's bigger is definitely not better.

Best of luck in your search for a puppy.

·
Registered
6,764 Posts
I ran into an oversized breeder when I was looking and would not recommend her for any reason. We had a dialogue going because she seemed to produce dogs that have very balanced temperaments. She asked if I wanted to join a private group to meet other owners of her lines, and I said I was interested in seeing what kinds of activities people are doing with their dogs. I never heard back from her and never got the link. I concluded her dogs don’t work or do any kinds of sports. It seems from reading her website and from our early conversations that she has taken dogs and bred them to be so heavy they aren’t suitable for anything but as pets. She said they are large boned, therefore heavier than average. That is not good breeding. When they breed for size and weight they lose other qualities. I explained this because it’s important to understand why size matters. If you really want a large dog, you are looking for a pet line dog, not a working line. Then you lose the traits that make WLs what they are.

·
Registered
10,810 Posts
And consider a male as well. Better chance for a good match. Female GSDs can be bitchy or worse. My female is 60 lbs, gorgeous, agile and fast. Wouldn't have wanted her any other way.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Yeah, I agree with everyone. If you do find one, please don't buy it. You are justifying the reason these "backyard" breeders continue to breed these dogs. (Because they are backyard breeders if they don't conform with the breed standards.) And if you do buy one, please spay it. We don't need these genes in the pool.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Honestly I don't understand people. If they want a big dog and size is really what they care about, get a rott. A Great pyrenees, a bernese mountain dog, a dane, a mastiff, irish wolfhound, newfoundland. Dogs that are BREED to be big. Don't make a medium/large breed bigger for no reason other than 'People want big dogs.

·
Registered
32,379 Posts
Sounds to me like the OP didn't know 65# was the norm for a female. American show lines run larger with females around 75#. HE didn't ask for backyard breeders. HEe asked for a good working line breeder who breeds this. Now they know. No reason to bash him.

·
Super Moderator
6,083 Posts
All my ASL girls have been 65 lbs. Well, a couple of times we’ve gone overboard on the food, and diets were in order. They are show dogs, so size matters.

·
Registered
855 Posts
If you want an 80 pound GSD you should be looking for a male, not a female. Larger females pop up - I have one - but they aren't the norm and no reputable breeder will breed for 80+ pound females.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a male puppy that is 6 months old and is 60.2 lbs. He's very long and lean and is the same height as my female golden. He is also the only one of the litter of 7 to be this large. We weren't looking for a large GSD, just a wanted another male GSD. I'm told his father is around 96 and grandfather 116. BTW my other shepherd is around 80 lbs at 4 years old.

Attachments

·
Registered
32,379 Posts
All my ASL girls have been 65 lbs. Well, a couple of times we’ve gone overboard on the food, and diets were in order. They are show dogs, so size matters.
The ones I know are larger. Around 70-75. I think they have heavier bone than most. But still no where near the OP's weight range.

·
Super Moderator
6,083 Posts
Russ is 90 lbs, heavy boned, and I keep him lean. He’s much bigger than either parent. I don’t like his size at all, and don’t know why anyone would want a GSD this big.

·
Super Moderator
8,483 Posts
If you want an 80 pound GSD you should be looking for a male, not a female. Larger females pop up - I have one - but they aren't the norm and no reputable breeder will breed for 80+ pound females.
With a young female already... should be looking for a male anyway ;)

Reactions: wolfy dog

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
The ones I know are larger. Around 70-75. I think they have heavier bone than most. But still no where near the OP's weight range.

Jax mine just weighed in at 73, and my vet said she wants her more toward 80. I disagree and so does my breeder, but she’d be downright gaunt at 65. She’s just long and tall. Between 73 and 76 is good for her.

ETA she is a bit on the large side (25” tall). Most of the ASL bitches I know are the size of dogfaeries’ girls. Mine takes after her sire, who is a larger dog. I’m happy with her size TBH, because I like having a bitch and also like having a dog with the added visual effect of being a little big, but I wouldn’t buy a dog intentionally created oversized.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
No reputable working line breeder who breeds to standard and breeds for a dog who can actually work uses “straight back” to describe what they are producing, in my experience.

Breeders who use these buzz words and intentionally breed to produce dogs outside of the standard typically do not breed dogs that have the temperament or drives that should be present in a well bred GSD. Proceed with caution, if you go down the oversized, straight back road.

·
Registered
7,451 Posts
Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on good breeders that breed female working line GSDs that are 80-100Lbs. I love my current girl but she will probably only be ~65 pounds and just seems so small. Looking to get another girl that ends up being a bit bigger. Any suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks!
Jeremy

I understand where you are coming from. My Sabi was 82lbs in working condition, little miss Shadow is around 45-50 and I refer to her as my mini mutt.
That said Sabi was horribly oversize for a female and while I give her due credit for being a great dog and an honest partner she would have been much easier to lift if she had been smaller, definitely easier to carry and almost all of her work related injuries were strains.
You are going to be hard pressed to find anyone breeding properly that will have a female near that size. A well bred female MAY hit 75, but that's going to be an anomaly.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts