German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it isnt exactly the right place, but does anyone know where I can find info on breeders for Belgian Malinois? I am researching the breed currently but breeders seem a little scarce where I live(west coast). Currently paired with a GSD that I work in SAR but she is currently owned by my dads, he is training for SAR as well (we both work with her, me more than him due to time issues) and may end up taking over handler duties full time when he is more regular in training, I am researching for my next dog in case I have to find myself a new partner.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Contact Cheryl Goede on the FB page German Shepherd Dog Community. She's got two mals and can likely put you in touch with her breeder who can very likely also give you some solid leads on other responsible breeders.

·
Registered
27,254 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im guessing they would be great to talk to(and I plan to do so) but anyone have anything they can comment on about the breed in particular as opposed to the GSD?(the one we have now is our 2nd GSD, first one to do any work with)I met one once but it was only a few minutes so not much to go on

·
Registered
261 Posts
Holland, do you personally know any of Michael's dogs? I know several, and they are all very very good dogs. Why wouldn't you want a dog from him?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
18,687 Posts
Please, all negative comments must be kept to PM's.

ADMIN Lisa

·
Registered
5,725 Posts
Yes I knew one of his dogs. Actually probably more than one- Have you seen all of his dogs- Michael is a very nice person to train with-I really enjoyed his seminars. He's a really great dog trainer-I would not buy a dog from him-

·
Registered
261 Posts
I will say this, I know several currently and all are amazing dogs. There was one dog that was a bit much and sadly had to be put down. However Michael was honest with the purchaser as a puppy about what they would need to do with the puppy. And really put effort into making sure this was the type of dog they wanted. They didn't or couldn't manage the dog safely. Michael was taking the dog back however he was too much to ship. That is why I would buy a dog from him. He is 100% honest about what you are gonna get from a certain breeding/puppy. Honest about his breeding and why. If someone was looking for a SAR dog he would match them with a puppy that will excel at that. Again, I respect your opinion, I just have a different one and want the OP to hear both.

OP, the is also OT vitosha. Between the two of them is where I will be getting a Mali down the line.

·
Registered
261 Posts
No, I mean the dog was at the airport and the staff said they wouldn't ship the dog because they were afraid of him and how he was acting in the kennel. I didn't say it was the purchasers fault.

·
Registered
261 Posts
This is really taking away from the original post, you can PM me if you want to know details. Overall, he produces great dogs, and this dog would of been fine as a MWD or something. Malis aren't shepherds, breeding them is very different. Two people with great knowledge on this are Michael and Ivan and that is who the OP should talk to and figure out if a Mali is right for him.

·
Registered
5,725 Posts
Border collies can do everything that mals -can -even schutzhund seriously If the OP is interested I can give you the website of an awesome border collie rescue-an added plus is the are some awesome border collie trainers out there. Plus think of all the money that you would be saving by purchasing a rescue-

·
Registered
261 Posts
I agree. My SAR dog was a border collie. And he was incredible. And easier to carry/travel with.

·
Registered
5,725 Posts
One last comment and I am done with this thread if this persons "friends" told you this story they are really crappy "friends" and the reason I much prefer my dogs to people. Because this person loved the dog and was committed to training the dog and never wanted it to end like that. It was heart breaking

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Yes I knew one of his dogs. Actually probably more than one- Have you seen all of his dogs- Michael is a very nice person to train with-I really enjoyed his seminars. He's a really great dog trainer-I would not buy a dog from him-
I second this. Have also attended his 2 week course, which was fantastic. But I personally wouldn't want one of their mals. They have the potential to be very nervy if not raised juuuust right.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Looks like we got a little carried away here, appreciate all the input, if there is someone you suggest to avoid however, PM me, do not post in thread, and give me a reason why you feel that way, I dont wanna see an argument on the thread and I can decide for myself whether I want a dog from a breeder; border collies are good dogs, i work with 3 of them that are amazing, but just not my breed honestly; keep it focused, all im looking for is info on mals and mal breeders, thank you for the help so far!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts