German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, guys I made this account to help my mom out. She has had German Shepherds in the past and is looking to get a puppy this summer. She has done rescues before and wants a puppy this time around from a reputable breeder. She found this website (germanshephers.californiapuppiesforsale.com) I don't like this site at all. I know what breeder sites look like and this is not it to me. So, any good recommendations for the San Diego area? (anywhere in SoCal is fine) I have searched the forums and seen that Adler Stein is great but she won't be having any litters soon it looked like.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I know that someone on this forum has a gorgeous male from Grunenfeld. I'm not familiar with their dogs but I would look into them if I were in the market for a puppy. I have also heard good things about West coast German Shepherds.

·
Registered
441 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
I have a Grunenfeld dog, he has been amazing so far and I'd always recommend my breeder. Though it kind of depends on what your mom is looking for? There are showline and working lines dogs. Does she just want a pet dog? My pup would make a fine house pet given enough exercise, though GSD's are a working breed and they all need a lot of exercise and mental stimulation. I'm also doing a sport with my pup which he LOVES to do but he's also fine just lounging around the house some days too!

I would definitely not go with that website you posted, it kind of screams puppy mill to me. But feel free to PM me if you want more info. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys! She has had them as pets before (one became a police dog) but now she is looking for more in her future pet. Definitely some protection work/schutzhund training is not out of the question. I tend to lean toward working lines because their backs tend to be straighter and their drive is a little higher. She has plenty of time these days to train one so higher drive won't be an issue. I will let her know of the recommendations and yes that place she found I am not comfortable with. She used to find breeders through friends or newspapers lol I am helping her bridge the internet gap on what to look for.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Thanks guys! She has had them as pets before (one became a police dog) but now she is looking for more in her future pet. Definitely some protection work/schutzhund training is not out of the question. I tend to lean toward working lines because their backs tend to be straighter and their drive is a little higher. She has plenty of time these days to train one so higher drive won't be an issue. I will let her know of the recommendations and yes that place she found I am not comfortable with. She used to find breeders through friends or newspapers lol I am helping her bridge the internet gap on what to look for.
If she lives in San Diego, then all 3 of those breeders I mentioned, actively train Schutzhund in San Diego.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts