German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

My female GSD, Kaia, is 5 years old and I have been thinking about adding another pup to the family. I have just started looking for a breeder in my area and figured this was a great place to start. I know there are a ton of people around here from the Chicago area, so hopefully someone can point me in the right direction and I can start to build a relationship with a reputable breeder.

I would like to get another female, but I know there is always hesitation to have two female dogs in the household. I would like a dark sable, or an all black, but I am not too picky. I want a dog from strong working lines.

I am open to all suggestions and getting to know more GSD owners in the southern Chicago, NWI area.
Thanks in advance!

Here's Kai... after she found the ONLY mud puddle on the entire mountain.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,002 Posts

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Personally, just based on the website and their "guarantee" I wouldn't purchase from Shewana. I don't see any titles on the parents, and their hip guarantee is laughable.

We will replace any puppy found to have debilitating hip dysplasia before 26 months of age, AS DETERMINED BY THE ORTHOPEDIC FOUNDATION FOR ANIMALS (OFA). If the dog’s x-rays are not submitted to the O.F.A. for evaluation, no replacement will be made. All costs for this evaluation are the sole responsibility of the Buyer.
26 Months. Big whoop! You can't have official OFA's until 24 months! So they give you a 2 month grace period!?

Failure to follow proper feeding instructions, including the use of specific brands of food, will also void this guarantee.
Uhhhh.....

ALL FOOD IS TO BE “FLOATED” FOR THE LIFE OF YOUR DOG!
O.O!

Just...wow.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Personally, just based on the website and their "guarantee" I wouldn't purchase from Shewana. I don't see any titles on the parents, and their hip guarantee is laughable.

26 Months. Big whoop! You can't have official OFA's until 24 months! So they give you a 2 month grace period!?

Uhhhh.....

O.O!

Just...wow.
Geeze, I have dogs from there and she has been nothing but great to me. I know people who have had serious issues with their pup and the breeders will not even honor their guarantee! And not everyone cares about titles!!!! But several of the offspring have titles just because she does not do SCH does not make her bad.

As a matter of fact my trainer who is into SCH has made comment about by pup several times and his great temperment and drive. He said most GSD that come to him now are crap, they are shy or skittish.

And yes float the food, it has to do with bloat! Sorry to seem snarky but I took this as a personal attack on my dogs! Believe me I have had crappy GSD and these are not even close to that.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
I'm getting a puppy from Bill Kulla and Jennifer Acevedo in Illinois (northwest of Chicago). I have been more than happy with our communication thus far, the price is fair, and their contract/guarantee is infinitely better than the one posted above.

I would also suggest Robin and Carlos Huerta, they are also near Chicago and are extremely friendly, knowledgeable, and breed quality dogs.

·
The Italian One
8,729 Posts
I'm getting a puppy from Bill Kulla and Jennifer Acevedo in Illinois (northwest of Chicago). I have been more than happy with our communication thus far, the price is fair, and their contract/guarantee is infinitely better than the one posted above.
I'd recommend them too. I have met and watch a Geistwasser dog in action nearly every week. He's a really good dog! His owner is a member of this board if you'd like to talk to her and get her input - look for Elaine. She also is very happy with the breeders and their ongoing support. We also have a nice gentleman who has been visiting our club and is planning on getting a Geistwasser puppy soon (I think from the P litter?). He has also met Bill & Jenn in person and been very impressed. :thumbup:

:: BILL KULLA DOG TRAINING ::

I'd also like to recommend Trish Campbell at Triton Kennels in Illinois. We have a few members here that have puppies from her and have been very happy (one of our moderators - Lauri & the Gang has a Triton dog). I've also seen a puppy from her work a few times. Also a very nice dog. Love his tracking. He is now the 2010 North Central Regional Schutzhund 3 Champion.

Triton Kennels Home

Both of the above are strong working line kennels like you are looking for. The previous recommendations here are show lines and not working lines so be aware of that.

·
Registered
27,271 Posts
GSD fan, have you had experiences with the kennels you are suggesting?
To the OP, I would only go with a first hand knowledge/experience recommendation and not a web search of breeders that are just posted...some can be less than reputable.

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Geeze, I have dogs from there and she has been nothing but great to me.
That's great, I was just stating my opinion on what I saw. I saw a guarantee that I felt really didn't mean much, given the time frame of when you can certify with OFA and how long they would cover the dog (and to what degree).

I also understand recommending a certain brand/type of food, but to void a contract because you don't feed EXACTLY their food EXACTLY their way? Seems quite excessive to me.

The vast majority of breeders I've come across also don't require you to "float" a dog's food for the duration of its lifetime either.

Glad you're happy with your dogs, that's just not a breeder I'd choose to give my money to.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
I have a 16 week old pup from Shepherds by Design in Illinois. I could not be happier with my choice. My pup is extremely bright, has a lot of drive, and is exactly what I was looking for. She is 100% Czech working line. She is a total brat with obedience but understands what she is supposed to do and she is excelling in her tracking and bite work. She LOVES to track and gets extremely excited when she smells a bite sleeve. I couldn't have asked for a better match. I also talk constantly with her breeder. If I have any questions, Chuck is always there for me to turn to.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I want a dog from strong working lines.
And not everyone cares about titles!!!!
Its funny to me. If the OP had posted a question regarding where to get good chocolate ice cream, why would anyone post about the vanilla they prefer?

Many of the kennels listed by folks would be able to provide lovely American line companion dogs...which are fine if that is what a person seeks, but have nothing to do with the strong working lines the OP has inquired about.

Kaiapup, Liesje & Vinnie have provided you with a couple of strong working line kennels where titles do matter if you indeed are searching for a working GSD. Goodluck...do your homework, and allow yourself the time to understand if you really want chocolate or vanilla.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Its funny to me. If the OP had posted a question regarding where to get good chocolate ice cream, why would anyone post about the vanilla they prefer?

Many of the kennels listed by folks would be able to provide lovely American line companion dogs...which are fine if that is what a person seeks, but have nothing to do with the strong working lines the OP has inquired about.

Kaiapup, Liesje & Vinnie have provided you with a couple of strong working line kennels where titles do matter if you indeed are searching for a working GSD. Goodluck...do your homework, and allow yourself the time to understand if you really want chocolate or vanilla.
Thanks to everyone who responded. W.Oliver, you are correct. I am looking for a dog from strong working lines. I am allowing myself plently of time. I can't wait to get home (im currently in the gulf working on the oil spill) so I can plan some visits to the breeders/kennels/clubs around my area!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

I would also suggest Robin and Carlos Huerta, they are also near Chicago and are extremely friendly, knowledgeable, and breed quality dogs.
I so wish Bill Kulla and Jennifer were on the southside of Chicago. I would love to get involved in their training, but is a 2 hr ride from my house.
I met a couple with a GSD from them, and they had nothing but raves about the dog and the level of training and service from Kulla.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
If working lines are what you seek, I would suggest you visit a United Schutzhund Clubs of America (USA) club, or DVG, there may also be a US Mondioring group or Service Dogs of America in your area?? You'll have to do a bit of checking...but seeing working dogs and visiting clubs is time well spent. Goodluck, and stay safe in the Gulf!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Shut-up and get in the car!:D

Seriously, a one plus hour drive to train is pretty normal for most of us! Schutzhund training is a lifestyle.
98 miles each way is toooooooo far in my book :D Now, one hour, I can do that... I just need to find somewhere I like.

Thanks for all the info. It is much appreciated!

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Vinnie already mentioned Triton Kennels, but I wanted to second that. I've had great experiences with Trish. She has been a very supportive breeder. I am pleased with my working line Triton dog.

Scrolling back up, I didn't see anyone provide a link to Wildhaus Kennels. http://www.wildhauskennels.com/index.html

I train with Chris and Tim. Their dogs have great temperaments. My next puppy will most likely either be a Wildhaus or a Triton depending on who has a litter with a SchH prospect male first! :) Both of them have good breedings coming up.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts