German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been meaning to ask this question for some time.....

When I’m out walking Miikka she will continually look back at me. She’ll stop, turn around and look at me, and then turn back around and keep walking. I don’t mean to say she always is turning around but we walk approximately 1.5 miles at a time. During those 1.5 miles, I’d say she turns maybe 6-7 times. We have had lots of dogs but I don’t recall any of them doing this. I know Buddy does not do this. He just keeps moving forward. He only stops to mark (spray) something. :eek:

I’m curious as to what this behavior is all about. What is she looking for? Is she just making sure I’m still back there, or what?

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Cody does the same thing. I always thought he was just checking to be sure im still there.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Kali does this too! When we going trail running she usually runs ahead of me, but she always looks back to make sure I'm still there :)

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
I think it is because she is looking to you for "direction". She see's your still walking so it's ok, if you turned to walk another way she wouldn't know unless she was paying attention to you. I love the look of suprise when I turn the other way and pup wasn't paying attention, she will come full speed toward me as if to say oh boy wheres mom going now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts