German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody,

What was the best command you taught your dog(s)?
Is there something you wish that you had taught them earlier?
And is there something you regret teaching or not teaching?

In my case, I never taught my rescue hound "look at me" and I think it was a mistake because I cannot l get his attention when he is stressed. We are working on it...

Happy weekend!

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I taught Neb 'drop it' but never 'leave it' or 'don't pick it up again'. We were at my MIL's house and her cats had brought in a chipmunk, which Neb killed. He was standing there with it in his mouth, I said 'drop it', he dropped it - then after a second or so, picked it up again. I said 'drop it' - and repeat. Like 7 times before my husband came over and got the chipmunk.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
(under normal circumstances the offending item would be picked up or we'd walk by...but I did not want to touch the chipmunk and was distracted by it's twitching)

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
Funny, because I've never taught a "look at me" command with any dog I've ever worked with! The real trick is to let them figure out for themselves that they need to...I've always taught that LOL!

Trust me, when it's a thing they came up with, they "know" it so much better than if you teach it!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
(under normal circumstances the offending item would be picked up or we'd walk by...but I did not want to touch the chipmunk and was distracted by it's twitching)
I laughed when I read this, but I am also horrified.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@tim_s_adams
with my GSD, it does not need to be taught. She is always looking at me, when I walk her, train her, when she is hanging out with my neighbours. My rescue doesn't look at me the same way, esp. on walks. This morning, I think he did not look at me once, which can be really problematic when we encounter another dog. But I agree, the best commands do not have to be taught.

I didn't have to teach "find it" or fetch to my GSD. We were just playing and she figured them out. I do need to teach her to "drop it".

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think a solid “down-stay” and a consistent recall in the face of distractions are the most important and practical skills for any dog.

·
Super Moderator
4,735 Posts
down stay is important as well as recall. At times one can be safer to use than the other. I have taught my dogs to Look. I like to know I have their attention. Mostly I use Auchtung when they are offering me behaviors and not paying attention to my cues. It tells them to stop dorking around and look at me, get the cue, do the trick and get the reward. This happens mostly when I am working both dogs at once and they seem to be in competition to be the one to get it right first.

Something I wish I hadn't taught? So far nothing too bad. I do have to get my gal-dog to be more careful doing the Paw command. She tends to slap me with her paw over and over and her dew claw scratches me.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Must haves: a bomb proof recall, "Here" as in put your invisible 6' leash on, and loose leash walking whether the leash is 6', 1' or anywhere in between. I think that covers the basics that I use. And yes, no, good and okay.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
best commands “stop” and “leave it” he knows “turn” really well which means change direction, any direction will suffice as long as it is a definitive direction change and usually he just comes towards me but if he doesn’t that’s ok also. I like calling that command. He knows a bunch of others but......

Down was the hardest command because I inatially taught it incorrectly and with compulsion and not enough praise and allowing him to learn it first. I will always regret this one but he forgave me a life time ago so I just keep it in the back memory.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I still don't think Jupiter understands "no." Maybe part of the problem is a trainer had convinced me to switch to "nein" around 9 months, and it still hasn't really caught on.

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
What has been most useful was teaching them the emergency recall/charging dog deterrent with a referee whistle. No regrets with anything specific.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
I still don't think Jupiter understands "no." Maybe part of the problem is a trainer had convinced me to switch to "nein" around 9 months, and it still hasn't really caught on.
Is it that he doesn't understand no or that he is blowing you off?

·
Registered
13 Posts
IMO, hands down the best command is "Come." I want in any situation if they are in a situation that could turn volatile I want that one word to mean something; they should stop on a dime without thinking and return. A friend of mine had a Cane Corso "Tigger" who was very well trained, all the way through protection. On a walk through the woods off-leash he spotted some deer; and loved to chase them! My friend as Tigger started to run; called out calmly "COME Tigger" and he stopped on a dime and returned to him. I did not have this problem with my GSD because he never left my side; even off leash :) still LOVE my boy and miss him immensely but my Malamute / Shepherd mix is a different story! She will return to me but she will hesitate, I think if she ever ran out on the road not that she has that chance that will be the difference of a healthy dog verses a dead one. I had contractors at my home; they liked my dogs and opened the garage area into their yard to play with them. My GSD was friendly since they had been introduced over time, my Malamute /shepherd noticed another worker was walking through the front door and made a dash for it. The contractor called; informed me she was lose in the neighborhood and he could see her but she kept running. I told him... call out "COME, name" which he did. She didn't run directly towards him, but ran through the neighbors yard to home and was sitting on the front porch as if nothing happened. Bottom line is you want to keep your dog and others safe if you think the situation is dangerous to anyone... one simple command can relieve a lot of anxiety.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
I used to think he was just "making a business decision," but am starting to think he actually doesn't get it.
Are you following through with some type of correction?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts