German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 164 Posts

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a total noon, I do so well with my point and shoot, just because I am a designer, have the editing software and a good eye. I think i can do well with DSLR, but I need help getting on my feet.

• What lens will I need to take a good portrait? love blurred background
happy. | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

• What lens to take a shot like this: http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/pictures-pictures-pictures/265754-matured-well-stacked-some-cuz-love.html

• And Motion?

P.S. unfortunately I cant spend over 1k, that's the main reason I am going to stick to canon =( any help would be great. If you have a canon, any of the rebels, please post a pic and tell me what lens was used?

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
blurred background and motion is your aperture and shutter speed, not really the lens.

IMO the stock lens (the lens it comes with) could take those pictures.

I like my 135mm lens for portraits, but everyone has their own preference.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I heard get a 50mm and the kit comes with 18-55 and 70-300. what is the 70-300 for?

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I heard get a 50mm and the kit comes with 18-55 and 70-300. what is the 70-300 for?
zooming into something far away. I don't use mine very often. I'm more into macro photography.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
I don't know much about cameras at all (and am definitely still a newbie)... and I know nothing about Canons, but I can provide some personal experience and picture examples. Hopefully that will help until one of the photographers on the forum comes along.

• What lens will I need to take a good portrait? love blurred background
happy. | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
All of the pictures from the above thread are taken with my 50mm f/1.8, and while I'm not sure what lens was used for the photo you linked, you'd be able to achieve the same effect with the 50mm.

Examples of a shallow DOF using my 50mm f/1.8 -

Additionally, a high aperture/low f stop number is not necessary for background separation or blurring. The focal length and the distance between the subject and the background makes a huge difference. Examples of blurred backgrounds without the DOF being *too* shallow -

Again, taken with the 50mm f/1.8

• And Motion?
Both my 50mm f/1.8 and my 18-55mm kit lens does fine with motion, but it's also very dependent on what and where you are trying to shoot. Outdoors, I have no complaints. Indoors? I really have to mess around with manual settings, but can catch a nice image or two. As mentioned in the above post, getting a good action shot is more dependent on the camera settings (and the conditions/lighting). However, I will say that it is much easier to get a nice action shot indoors with my 50mm f/1.8 than it would have been with the 18-55mm f/3.5 - 5.6.

This is taken outdoors with my 18-55mm

Like trcy said, a lot of it is personal preference and figuring out what you will be photographing. I like my 50mm because that is a good distance for me and my dog - he's never far enough to shoot with a 135mm, and if I ever get an 85mm I imagine all of our pictures will have to be posed (he rarely goes that far from me on his own).

On the other hand. I get a greater range with the 18-55mm lens because a 50mm lens on a DX camera (crop sensor) is closer to 80mm, and sometimes I find my dog much too close to me for a picture. And by the time I've backed up a few feet, the moment's gone (also why my dog has a pretty great "stop!! stay!!!" LOL). Unfortunately, the low light performance isn't quite as nice.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
I have a rebel xsi that I got used in very good condition for $310, currently I just have two lenses the kit lens that came with it(18-55) and a portrait lens which is similar to what Rei has and I only paid $100 for it brand new.

Taken with the 18-55

Untitled (2013-03-22 01:24:18) by Carriesue82, on Flickr

Untitled (2013-03-22 17:37:53) by Carriesue82, on Flickr

Say what by Carriesue82, on Flickr

Taken with portrait lens which also takes decent action shots

IMG_8645_edited-1 by Carriesue82, on Flickr

Untitled (2013-04-21 02:08:00) by Carriesue82, on Flickr

Untitled (2013-04-19 23:19:42) by Carriesue82, on Flickr

Untitled (2013-05-05 03:18:42) by Carriesue82, on Flickr

Untitled (2013-05-05 03:18:59) by Carriesue82, on Flickr

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow thanks everyone!!!

Rei, what do you use again, you have me sold on 50mm!

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have a rebel xsi that I got used in very good condition for $310, currently I just have two lenses the kit lens that came with it(18-55) and a portrait lens which is similar to what Rei has and I only paid $100 for it brand new.
I really appreciate the samples!!! I am a visual learner so this helps me understand everything better =) and see the results.

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Wow thanks everyone!!!

Rei, what do you use again, you have me sold on 50mm!
I use Nikon so that is the 50mm f/1.8 on my Nikon D90, but I don't imagine the Canon equivalent being any different :)

I really like my 50mm f/1.8, that is the lens I am using 90% of the time... but I do happen to take dog pictures almost exclusively. Also the 50mm focal length is what works best for me and my dog, but a lot of my friends use a 35mm f/1.8 and a few others use the 85mm f/1.8 (GatorDog on this forum uses an 85mm on her Canon). I've heard a lot of people recommend both, but my wallet can't handle that quite yet LOL

The price of the 50mm does help though!! I picked mine up for $50 used (and Carriesue mentions her 50mm f/1.8 for Canon being $100 new). I'm not sure if there's a 35mm f/1.8 for Canon, but they are about $200 new for Nikon, and I saw the Canon 85mm f/1.8 is around $380.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
I use Nikon but the lens are comparable from what I've seen. I've had good results with the kit lens 18-55 and I just bought a 55-200mm and I'm having a blast with that. The 55-200 i'm using for good distance shots. I'm expecting a 55-300 lens to arrive this week which will get me even closer to desired shots without disturbing the subjects.

This was taken with an 18-55mm lens

and this was with the 55-200mm

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I used the 70-300mm at the feline breeding compound. The cats are all in fenced cages. To get a shot that "blurred out" wire fencing I used the 300mm. It worked out pretty well. Yes, those cats are on a raw diet .;)

these were the cage wires/fencing I was trying to blur out.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
oh this is so awesome.

now i need to decide on the camera =)

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Absolutely agree with Carriesue that the kit lens is a great one to have! I really like having it around for vacations and family events.

A few pictures taken with my 18-55mm:

At the beach and lake house

A friend/neighbor also asked me to take pictures of his guitar for him when he put them up on sale -

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
oh this is so awesome.

now i need to decide on the camera =)
Good luck! I just glanced at the specs and they appear to be pretty comparable.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
whichever camera you go with, being a visual person, I'd suggest you look into user instructional DVD for the camera. I'm watching the one that came with my Nikon camera bag and I'm more comfortable playing with the features while watching the DVD than I was playing with the features on my own. It's actually teaching me a great deal in the 20 minutes I've been watching it and I've been playing with this camera for a month now.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
There are kits on amazon, so i am thinking of getting a kit and it comes with dvd =0)

1 - 20 of 164 Posts