German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Del Cono Sur Wyoming/Utah- Show lines but seem like well bred titled dogs

Candle hill Shepherds-Idaho- Working lines, have been recommended from people that know their dogs.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
You probably need to put some more thought into what kind of dog you would like to have. Considering show lines and working lines doesn't make any sense to me. They are essentially are different breeds.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess we can disagree on them being like different breeds.

I have owned both lines and while they are totally different in the way they learn and act they were both amazing dogs. I am not getting a GSD to become a high level protection or working dog nor am I planning on Sch,Fr, or Ipo. That doesn't mean a nicely bred working dog is not an option for us nor does it mean that we should stick to show lines.

Did you look at either of the lines?

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Raiser's SV reported a study that showed, based on genetics, the show lines and working lines were essentially separate breeds. It is so apparent by the difference in structure and temperament. Regarding the pedigrees you posted, I wouldn't have a show line dog and the so called working line pedigree is a hodge podge of dogs that has many unknown dogs, so I don't think the working line pedigree represents a nicely bred working line breeding.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I don’t find any fault with considering both lines, as you said you aren’t pursuing an active protection sport. What is your criteria for a dog?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
First and foremost I want a sound temperament and good health.

I have a young family with three young kids. I could pick and choose traits for both of our previous shepherds that I loved and some that I did not. While being different they both had great attributes and were both great pets. If anything my show line dog had a higher drive then the working line dog. Not saying that is normal or desired but just showing it all depends on the breeding and the particular pup.

We are an active family that runs, hikes and spends a good amount of time in the mountains. I would like a dog that can come running with the wife and I and also just chill out when in the home and the kids are playing with toys. I want a dog that shows signs of minor protection but not over the top aggression towards new people or other dogs. Obviously we want a pup that is great with kids!

We are also looking into a few different breeds like a Swiss shepherd, dutch and so on.

Our hearts have been won over by the GSD but we are just starting the leg work for our next pup and the dog that will be raised with our young family and want to make sure we get it right.

Any and all comments are welcome and thanks in advance!

·
Registered
712 Posts
I think your needs are very reasonable and can be attained with either type of dog. Out of the two breeders I liked Candle Hill better, they seem more personal and have a variety in their dogs while also attaining titles and health clearances. I personally have a dog who is half WGSL and half working, he’s wonderful in every way. I’m not biased or anything, though!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think your needs are very reasonable and can be attained with either type of dog. Out of the two breeders I liked Candle Hill better, they seem more personal and have a variety in their dogs while also attaining titles and health clearances. I personally have a dog who is half WGSL and half working, he’s wonderful in every way. I’m not biased or anything, though!

Thanks for the info, any other breeder options would be welcome as well!

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Are you willing to travel 10+ hours or have a puppy shipped to you?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes we would be willing to travel or have a puppy shipped (I would need a lot of references and details about the dogs if shipped)

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
Vom Haus Viaden is a working line breeder in North Idaho. I've met a fair number of her pups and they appear to be nice dogs with solid temperament.

·
Registered
6,895 Posts
The best dog I had for children was from a small breeder I found online. I don’t know anything about her dogs, pedigrees or specialty training but she was nice enough to invite us to watch her work toward titling her dogs at a dog show. I didn’t realize but she was evaluating my children at the same time. They were young but very experienced around dogs, ours and other people’s. So, she gave us her address and made an appointment to sell us an 8 week old male about a month later. When we arrived with our children, their friends and our dog sitter, all of whom she asked to meet, she said she thought about it and was keeping the male. Then she said she had a 12 week old female who was already trained in early foundation and who had been living in her home, and had been around a lot of dogs and people. We met her and she was perfect. When I got the pedigree, it turned out she was Vom Kirchental on one side and an Uran progeny on the other. There were a lot of other dogs that turned out to be from excellent kennels and ancestors. We literally lucked out on finding a balanced dog, with an excellent temperament and biddable. I am mentioning this because even thought she was a small breeder with only a few litters a year, she knew what she was doing. I also didn’t realize but her dogs were all titled, which was a big deal, too. We let her pick the dog for us, which was a very good choice. The dog had a lot of energy, but so did my children.

·
Registered
7,949 Posts
Meet the dogs ask the breeder. I strongly disagree about show-lines and working lines are two different breeds. There are differences though and important to discuss what you are looking for with your breeder. All in all my showlines are great with the kids I am the queen but the kids are enjoyed by the dogs they were raised with my kids so that I’m sure helps but I can not rave enough what good family dogs they are.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
"I personally have a dog who is half WGSL and half working, he’s wonderful in every way. I’m not biased or anything, though!"

I did a breeding with this combination and love the results. I also did a Working line/ American Showline cross breeding and kept back a female. She has been doing fantastic. Took a UKC Best In Show at 6 months, and we have been taking herding lessons since that time as well.

Edit: I tried quoting but I cant seem to figure that out.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts