German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an excellent gsd, big boned, blk/tan..west german, sloped back,short snout, big chest and head, short haired. He is just akc..but both of his parents have awesome pedeigree...certified hips ect..have 10 generation pedigree on him, full of champion dogs in germany as well in u.s...sch iii both in show and working lines. He is 9 and is very intelligent, and would like a pup to carry on his bloodline.

Thanks, kenny

·
Registered
940 Posts
I have an excellent gsd, big boned, blk/tan..west german, sloped back,short snout, big chest and head, short haired. He is just akc..but both of his parents have awesome pedeigree...certified hips ect..have 10 generation pedigree on him, full of champion dogs in germany as well in u.s...sch iii both in show and working lines. He is 9 and is very intelligent, and would like a pup to carry on his bloodline.

Thanks, kenny
^^^^:eek: :confused:

I can't wait to see the responses this gets :D

·
Registered
168 Posts
Am I crazy or is it just my way of thinking... if these GSD's would make such great studs with Champion bloodlines, great temperment and fantastic breeding qualities would the original breeder not of kept them or sold them off to another qualified kennel. I have no idea what the cost of your wonderful GSD was, but one that has the quality's of a wonderful stud is not one the average joe can afford. Just my 3 cents worth.... Hubby says I am crazy!

·
Registered
9,025 Posts
Kenny, have you contacted the breeder that you got your boy from? They may still be breeding the same line. If they are not if you post the pedigree here someone may be able to give you some guidance in tracking down a relative.

You dog sounds wonderful and I understand you wanting another like him especially as he is getting older. My heart dog just turned 10 and I think if I could have him cloned I would be so tempted.

Hope you stay around and share your love of the breed with us. I don't know of any that are as smart and loyal as a GSD. :)

·
Registered
130 Posts
Thank you Ilghaus!
Others who posted in response- I know we are all frusturated and tired of ignorant people who want to become "breeders", but please try to remember that what they need is education. If my first post here had gotten this kind of response from people, I can't say that I would have come back and learned all of the wonderful things that the combined knowledge of this board has to offer.
If we offend people, they will leave, go to Craig's List or somewhere similar, and breed anyway. If we (nicely) educate people, maybe we will change a few minds about breeding, and save puppies from being bred in the first place.
~Aimee

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
:thumbup: TJ & Aimee

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
I would take the dog back to the breeder, have it evaluated, maybe the breeder will breed a female to it, or maybe they are still producing dogs of the same lines or a repeat litter (probably not since the dog is 9, but worth looking into). Breeding the dog will not guarantee the pups will be anything like the dog. But the original breeder would have better knowledge of how to produce and reproduce the qualities you are looking for (which are....??).

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
I have no idea what the cost of your wonderful GSD was, but one that has the quality's of a wonderful stud is not one the average joe can afford. !
Not necessarily. You can't guarantee how a dog turns out. A puppy sold for $7500 might end up with bad elbows and an overbite. A puppy sold for $1500 might be the next VA dog. Proven top showline studs are more than tens of thousands, yes, but only using these dogs for breeding just creates even more of the genetic bottleneck. I have a fairly nice male if I might say so and have received a few legitimate requests for using him as a stud in the future, something to consider. I wouldn't instantly write off someone because they aren't importing 100K studs or only breeding to Quenn, Zamp, Vegas, etc.

I'm not condoning the OP but there's a chance s/he does have a very nice dog.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well, i'm not a breeder..nor do i want to be..i was looking to find a good large female to breed him with so i could get a pup from him. his line is in germany so thats out.. i use my dog as a pet and protection for my home.. and yes i'm no expert !!!!! just a regular guy looking to breed his dog...and for whom ever wants to know, i give $2500 for him. thanks for your help..

·
Registered
27,294 Posts
kdlong, please stick around and read the threads in the various forums, you'll learn and hopefully contribute to the threads.
Where is Benton?

·
Registered
800 Posts
Geez, another brand new member has been chased off because he came out of obscurity and made a 'ridiculous' request.:confused: Some people on this board need to step back and realize that not everyone that comes to this forum is 'all knowing'. Some people may not realize that there's an overabundance of dogs in shelters (not everyone works in a shelter), or that by breeding their dog that they are contributing to the problem. This guy didn't seem to be trolling, just made a simple inquiry and got raked over the coals and made to look like an idiot. I'm not disagreeing with the points made here, just the manner in which they were made.......

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
If you breed your male you are a breeder.

Now if you are going to breed, do it RESPONSIBLY!! People have provided some links and offered some advice to put you in the right direction. Please stay and learn about this breed that we all love and enjoy.

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
Before you breed your dog, you need to have him measured as "excellent" by someone other than yourself. A good way to start with this is to make an appointment to have X-rays of his hips and elbows done to send in to OFFA for rating. You may also want to consider testing for common things passed on genetically, such as von Willebrand's disease.

In addition to these types of health tests, your dogs "excellence" must also be measured against the breed standard in terms of appearance and temperament. Appearance is measured by putting your dog into conformation in front of judges who will rate him. Temperament is measured by working your dog, preferably in a venue relevant to the breed, such as Schutzhund or herding. It must be measured by competing your dog in front of different judges, preferably to working titles.

Once that is done, you will know whether your dog is truly "excellent" by objective standards such as the breed standard and those who have judged your dog in the ring and on the field. At that point, you can make an educated decision on whether to breed your dog or not.

I can tell you right now that having a 10 generation pedigree is nothing special. Aside from people whose dogs came from backyard breeders or rescues, anyone whose dogs came from registered breeding stock can get a pedigree on their dogs.

I can also tell you that at nine years old, your dog is pretty old to consider using him as a stud if your goal is to breed responsibly as it would be too old for him to start in any sporting venue.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
well, i'm not a breeder..nor do i want to be..i was looking to find a good large female to breed him with so i could get a pup from him. his line is in germany so thats out.. i use my dog as a pet and protection for my home.. and yes i'm no expert !!!!! just a regular guy looking to breed his dog...and for whom ever wants to know, i give $2500 for him. thanks for your help..
Have you considered just getting another dog from your breeder, then? Your breeder would know how to produce another dog like him. Heck, your breeding might have a son or grandson from your dog's sire they are breeding.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Have you considered just getting another dog from your breeder, then? Your breeder would know how to produce another dog like him. Heck, your breeding might have a son or grandson from your dog's sire they are breeding.
That is a wonderful suggestion, GSD Fan! =)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts