German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Just have a quick question. How do I get my pup to look at ME instead of the treat? She will look at me SOMETIMES, but a lot of the time she looks at the pocket the treat comes from. Or she will look at me and then at my pocket. I say 'yes' as a marker and I know I've probably made the mistake of saying yes when she was looking at my pocket because she looks so quickly at me and then the pocket.

The only time she will look at me is if I make her wait for something, like food or a toy. Otherwise if she does a sit or a down she will look only briefly at me and then my pocket.

How can I get her to look at me instead of where the treat comes from?

·
Registered
32,553 Posts
Timing! As soon as she looks at you, Yes and Treat. It takes time for them to be comfortable looking directly into your eyes. I held the treat to my forehead, then dropped it to my chest, then my side. Once she held her Watch, then I started moving around and putting her in odd positions so she had to turn to see me.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Reward heavily for when she does look, and hold out for the look when she doesn't.

You say she looks at you briefly before she moves to the pocket... that's good! She knows what to do, she's just jumping the gun for the reward.

If you want to reward for the Sit, reward the INSTANT butt hits floor, disregarding all else. That is reinforcing the sit, and nothing else.

If you want her to sit and look at you, ask for the sit, then wait for her eyes to come back to you. If she looks then goes right to the pocket, simply wait for the eyes to wander back to you. More than likely they will, and at that instant, mark and reward heavily.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts