German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I noticed that my puppy has 2 teeth growing at almost the same place. Not sure if both are permanent or the other is just a puppy tooth. Both are intact with no signs that one is going to fall off soon.

Comparing the other side of his teeth, the outer tooth in the photo looks to be the one out of place.

Is this something that needs vet intervention? Or leave it as it is?

Will this cause unaligned tooth?

He's already 5 months. Turning 6 on July 17.

Thank you.

Attachments

·
Registered
868 Posts
The dark colored tooth is a puppy tooth....looks like his adult canine coming in next to it....puppy teeth typically fall out and we never know.....if the puppy (dark) tooth feels firmly in place it wouldn't be a bad idea to see your vet...I'd be afraid it might affect the way the adult tooth comes in

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I agree with Shane's. If it doesn't fall off, definitely see a vet. If it really doesn't fall off, yes I'd be worried that it will affect the not-yet-grown adult teeth coming in. Not an emergency, but I'd make a trip to see the vet anyhow.

·
Registered
5,743 Posts
When we have foster dogs with puppy teeth that haven't fallen out, we play tug with them. Get them riled up and play -- often! They also get stuffed kongs to work on. All of this was our vet's advice!

That usually is just enough for them to fall out on their own. Rarely they need to come out surgically, but that's an easy procedure. Don't rush to the vet though --- get the mouth working on toys, and maybe it will loosen up on its own.

·
Super Moderator
6,443 Posts
What Magwart said ^^^^.I've had puppies with several 'stuck' baby teeth that looked like snaggle toothed sci-fi monsters.They always came out on their own and the adult teeth were nice and straight.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies!

Just an update, his tooth is still there. From the time I posted the picture, the puppy tooth has grown significantly longer but it doesnt feel like it's going to fall anytime soon.

Tried to check the permanent tooth and it looks like it's growing fine, i.e., aligned. The opposite side however appears to have already grown longer than the one that's growing beside the puppy tooth.

Hopefully everything will turn out fine as he'll be joining conformation show soon.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
I've seen it before, they usually fallout. I'd go with a vet if it becomes any more concerning though. Actually I just wanted to compliment you on being able to get a still photo of a 5 month old GSD's mouth lol

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My pup is now turning 6 months and the tooth is still there. I'm afraid his permanent tooth appears to be growing inwards same as the one on the picture. NOTE: THAT IS NOT HIS TEETH. THEY ARE THE SAME. Bumping on the upper gums.

Called several vets but surprisingly, not one performs tooth extraction. Until I find one, I am on my own now.

Chew toys and tugs didnt seem to help.

I am about to show him in august but all the hard work preparing for the show might be for nothing if I cant show him because of his tooth.

I hope his tooth will self-correct soon. Really do not know what to do now.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
976 Posts
My pup is going through the same exact thing, it is frustrating! Hers is the top canine baby tooth. As Magwart mentioned, that is what I was advised of as well. She is 7 months tomorrow and my vet doesn't seem super concerned and said if it is still in by the time we spay her, around 9 or 10 months, she'll remove it during that procedure.

I did check the tooth yesterday and it does budge now, but not super loose still, so that is good. What I have been doing is focusing tug on that side with a rope of hers. I'm pulling/being more aggressive than normal with the tug too, which she seems to enjoy! I was going to get a bone from the tractor store yesterday but never got around to it. Maybe today.

Good luck!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the advice. Just want to tell you that his puppy tooth just fell and the permanent one's coming out perfectly aligned! Thank you.

·
Registered
10,215 Posts
Thanks for all the advice. Just want to tell you that his puppy tooth just fell and the permanent one's coming out perfectly aligned! Thank you.

Good news on the puppy tooth :)
From your picture in your earlier thread it looks like your pup's teeth are already building up tartar or is it the light in the picture? What do you feed him?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good news on the puppy tooth :)
From your picture in your earlier thread it looks like your pup's teeth are already building up tartar or is it the light in the picture? What do you feed him?
I think the bite works helped with that tooth. Havent taken closer look at it but yes, I guess it's the light. I feed him dry kibbles - Acana free run duck.

·
Registered
5,743 Posts
Please monitor our ongoing mega-thread about the FDA warning on dog food being connected to DCM -- Acana is one of the foods over-represented in the spreadsheet linked in that thread. It may just be coincidence -- or not -- but subscribe to that thread and stay on top of it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts