German Shepherds Forum banner

Longcoated vs short coated allergy

820 views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  CindyFlaye 
#1 ·
Hello !
So I'm a bit freaking out . I have always have seasional allergies and my nose is always a bit stuffed .. i have live all my life with daschunds.I moved out few years ago so i dont have daily contact to our parents dog anymore. Also I have been interacted with different dogs all my life. Now few months ago i visit my friend for several hours and she has a Dalmatian dog and my eyes got itchy so itchy!!!. after that I have been trying to rub my face in many dogs fur😂 without any reaction ..but I haven't been exposed to other dogs for a long time periods like with that Dalmatian ... so if im developing some dog allergy... do you suggest that long coated gsd would be better for me? I have understood that the dander gets a bit more "Stuck " inside the coat when comparing to short coated Gsd. I might be freaking out for nothing but owning a gsd has been my dream FOREVER I'm sure you guys understand me .. I don't know anybody who owns a gds so it's hard to test out .
Thank you for reading this super long post. All love from here to everyone !

#10 ·
I have seasonal allergies. Also sensitive to dust mold dander, etc. My experience has taught me that it’s not so much if your pup is a long or short hair but how much hair and dander you allow to accumulate in your home. GSD’s or German Shedders require daily brushing and vacuuming in my home. Lint brushes, rollers and air purifiers throughout the house do the trick. And never let your pup on the bed.

#8 ·
The undercoat will get trapped but that requires more brushing to prevent matting. The amount of hair is immense. (I have 2 longcoats) I don't see how to avoid all the hair while brushing. Good luck.

Reactions: Mariee12
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.