German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hello !
So I'm a bit freaking out . I have always have seasional allergies and my nose is always a bit stuffed .. i have live all my life with daschunds.I moved out few years ago so i dont have daily contact to our parents dog anymore. Also I have been interacted with different dogs all my life. Now few months ago i visit my friend for several hours and she has a Dalmatian dog and my eyes got itchy so itchy!!!. after that I have been trying to rub my face in many dogs fur馃槀 without any reaction ..but I haven't been exposed to other dogs for a long time periods like with that Dalmatian ... so if im developing some dog allergy... do you suggest that long coated gsd would be better for me? I have understood that the dander gets a bit more "Stuck " inside the coat when comparing to short coated Gsd. I might be freaking out for nothing but owning a gsd has been my dream FOREVER I'm sure you guys understand me .. I don't know anybody who owns a gds so it's hard to test out .
Thank you for reading this super long post. All love from here to everyone !

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Of course not ! but I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with longcoated gsd and short coated gsd and knows if that makes any difference in that situation 馃槉

Super Moderator
I have had both long and standard coated gsd... sorry to say, my friends that have dog allergies have been allergic to both.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Okay thank you! This was the thing I was wondering about. Now I just have to hung around with gsd somehow and hopefullly won't get any reaction. It was so unreal with that Dalmatian dog bc I haven't have any issues before .

Registered
The undercoat will get trapped but that requires more brushing to prevent matting. The amount of hair is immense. (I have 2 longcoats) I don't see how to avoid all the hair while brushing. Good luck.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah that's true .. brushing outside might be the key thing. And also using some pet sprays/ wipes that helps keeping the fur more clean.

Registered
Of course not ! but I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with longcoated gsd and short coated gsd and knows if that makes any difference in that situation 馃槉
I have seasonal allergies. Also sensitive to dust mold dander, etc. My experience has taught me that it鈥檚 not so much if your pup is a long or short hair but how much hair and dander you allow to accumulate in your home. GSD鈥檚 or German Shedders require daily brushing and vacuuming in my home. Lint brushes, rollers and air purifiers throughout the house do the trick. And never let your pup on the bed.

Registered
The dalmation could have rolled in something you're allergic to. See if you can arrange a visit to the dalmation after it's had a bath.

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you so much, that's wac
I have seasonal allergies. Also sensitive to dust mold dander, etc. My experience has taught me that it鈥檚 not so much if your pup is a long or short hair but how much hair and dander you allow to accumulate in your home. GSD鈥檚 or German Shedders require daily brushing and vacuuming in my home. Lint brushes, rollers and air purifiers throughout the house do the trick. And never let your pup on the bed.
Thank you for your reply, it really was a very useful for me!

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
The dalmation could have rolled in something you're allergic to. See if you can arrange a visit to the dalmation after it's had a bath.
Yes I am planning to get the dog revisiting my home after this corona situation... and now my seasional allergies are at its worst point so I'll wait for a while and hope for best .

Registered
Yeah, it's your best option, this way you can decide easier on what type of gsd you want too if you learn that there was no allergy involved to begin with.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts