German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Read Only
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am considering adding another German Shepherd to my pack of dogs. I currently have a 5 year old male stock coat who is great with my other 2 dogs and my cats. I also have an 11 month old Shepherd/ Golden R mix, who is rambunctious and silly, and a 12 year old Aussie mix. She is slowing down quite a bit, and mostly keeps to herself. These girls I have posted are 5 months old from a very accredited breeder. The top girl is supposed to be the most laid back, the middle girl is the most spunky and the 3rd is the middle of the road. The breeder lives almost 3 hours from me and I cannot go and meet the pups right now. She will hold one with a deposit. Any advice? Parents are both registered show dogs with awesome pedigrees. These pups are already 50 pounds. Update, I have opted NOT to add a 4th. Please no negative comments. Thanks.

·
Registered
233 Posts
You already have a 11 month old puppy, I would not get another. Having two puppies only 6 months difference in age would not be wise. You have two other dogs (and cats) to think about on top of that. I love dogs (obviously) and constantly feel the urge to add new pups to my household, but I don't. You really can't guarantee that 4 dogs are going to all get along in a couple of years, and what will you do then? At least give your current pup time to mature and be fully trained before you consider your next puppy.

·
Registered
7,279 Posts
If you have a good working dynamic with your current crew I would wait a few more years before adding another. One pup can come into an established group of dogs and turn everything upside down, then you either crate/rotate or rehome, not worth risking the stability of current group of dogs imop.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts