German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Calling on this forum's knowledge royalty (Jax, Carmshack, etc), regarding an answer needed, in order to continue on this "doing things right" journey with Red.
-Rode and trained horses in a previous life, and used to trim all wiskers from the nose and mouth, for a clean look. But in Big cats ( leopards etc), I know that these hairs are part of their contact with the environment arsenal, and should not be trimmed (not that I want to engage in that type of evaluation/endeavor). Is this the case with GSD's? or its ok to shorten them up for a clean look?.

At the ready, to be showered by the endless wisdom of this GSD center of higher learning...:nerd:

Attachments

·
Registered
32,588 Posts
Leave his whiskers alone. He's beautiful.

I don't know if they use them like cats do but nature gave them to him....

·
Registered
712 Posts
I’ve never heard of clipping a dogs whiskers. They use them for spatial awareness, and are cute at any rate.

Horses also use their whiskers similarly. I showed when I was a kid but gave it up for endurance racing.

·
Super Moderator
3,034 Posts
Definitely leave them intact.

They’re very sensitive, and trigger a blink reflex (to protect the eyes from impact or irritants) among other things. You can trigger this reflex in your own dog, nature’s design is fascinating. Very important function.

·
Super Moderator
6,256 Posts
Leave them. Even at dog shows we leave them on GSDs.

·
Registered
32,210 Posts
I have never heard of anyone clipping a dog's whiskers. They do not detract from the look of a German Shepherd.

·
Super Moderator
6,256 Posts
Lots of show dogs of various breeds get their whiskers clipped off, and breeds like poodles who get their faces shaved. GSDs don’t.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts