German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our little girl will be 9.5 weeks when we get her, she will be weaned onto the breeder's custom kibble, and will be free fed at the breeder's. She will have an 8-10 hour drive to come home to us. Should I get a small amount of kibble from the breeder for the first few days? (I assume she will need to eat when we get home, and I'm not sure whether to subject her to a new food after that long drive?) Or start her on raw right away?

Does anyone have any sample menus for puppies? (Or links to any?) I keep reading there is a lot of info around about switching/starting puppies to/on raw, but I am really having a difficult time finding it. I have read Lauri's site extensively, but the two pages I most need have not been written yet.

Under Construction and Under Construction

My last question for the moment is...I am not yet sure I can consistently provide multiple protein sources. (Eventually I'll be back at the home/land I own, and I raise my own animals there, but for now I'm stuck with supermarket, etc fare and some of it is prohibitive pricewise!) I know I can do chicken, beef, and pork. Is that enough, or should I stick with a high-quality (ha) kibble until I can provide better variety?

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
First off, yes take some of the breeders food home with you. I wouldn't change anything for a couple of weeks until she's settled in, you want to minimize the stress on her little body.

I am new to raw, so I started buying a prepackaged diet that is already balanced for you. It's more expensive, but it's convenient, so a good trade off. You also don't have to worry about the puppy chewing bones up properly. As I got more comfortable, I've started to supplement the odd whole protein, like chicken backs, turkey neck, these big hunks of lamb etc. and my dog has gotten better about chewing a bit more thoroughly.

Kibble is balanced in each meal, raw is balanced over time.

I'm actually really enjoying feeding raw and buying her weird tings sometimes. lol I just bought her some alpaca meat :D

1 - 2 of 2 Posts