German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Gang,
My first post here. I've had Borzoi for over 30 years, Silken Windhounds for over 10 and now have my first German Shepherd. I've had a lot of success in the conformation ring and in the field with both breeds. I now have my first German Shepherd. (FYI - I've had Corgis and a Belgium Tervurun in the past). Initially I was just looking for a good representative of the breed and not necessarily looking to show. But, when it's in your blood. LOL
Anyhow, my girl is from average size parents (both GCH's) and would like to know if at 6 months is 47 lbs an average/good weight for her?

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum! 47 lbs sounds good to me for a young female, but I'm no expert. I just try to keep my GSDs on the lean side with a nice tuck in the waist and don't pay that much attention to weight. I'm looking forward to hearing more about your pup. Pictures would be wonderful. I love sight-hounds also! How do they get along with your shepherd? I hope you are enjoying your first GSD.

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
Just curious about your switch from sight hounds to GSDs. I switched from Whippets to GSDs after the old racers died because we now live rural and Whippets were too injury prone. And a GSD was always on my bucket list so I am working on that already ;)
But I do miss my speedy comfort junkies.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I went to submit a photo but it seems I have to have 3 post in order to be able to do so.
Eventually............sigh
Melissa

·
Super Moderator
18,687 Posts
I went to submit a photo but it seems I have to have 3 post in order to be able to do so.
Eventually............sigh
Melissa
You should now be good to go. :)

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
Oh no, have not switched. She's in addition to my Borzoi and Silkens. <g>
Melissa
The combination GSD - Whippets was not successful in our home. Both came from good breeders and were of sound temperament. The Shepherd couldn't stand the Whippet's running as they want law and order. It was a lot of management. The Whippets hated the GSD. In the end the last of my Whippets in her old age decided to not want to leave her dog sitter's car when she was brought home. The sitter had three older Whippets and mine preferred that company. We decided to honor her preferences. I visited her 2 weeks later to make sure that she was serious (that was the agreement) but she was; stayed nicely next to her new owner on her bed. She greeted me like any other visitor! No desire to follow me to the car so we all knew. I had her for 12 years and she lived another three years happily with her own kind.

·
Super Moderator
5,678 Posts
Carly always got along with my Italian Greyhounds. She’s been a very polite, reasonable dog since she was a puppy, so that didn’t surprise me. I’m not sure any of them liked her, except Niles.

Pretty puppy!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No problem with the sighthounds.

The combination GSD - Whippets was not successful in our home. Both came from good breeders and were of sound temperament. The Shepherd couldn't stand the Whippet's running as they want law and order. It was a lot of management. The Whippets hated the GSD. In the end the last of my Whippets in her old age decided to not want to leave her dog sitter's car when she was brought home. The sitter had three older Whippets and mine preferred that company. We decided to honor her preferences. I visited her 2 weeks later to make sure that she was serious (that was the agreement) but she was; stayed nicely next to her new owner on her bed. She greeted me like any other visitor! No desire to follow me to the car so we all knew. I had her for 12 years and she lived another three years happily with her own kind.

She's fine with the sighthounds. The Silkens are about the same size but faster. The Borzoi are much bigger and won't tolerate her being overly rambunctious. I must say her trying to keep up with the speedsters on 2+ acres sure puts her in excellent shape.
She's a doll.
Melissa

·
Registered
855 Posts
Beautiful dog! I'd love to see a picture of your pack. You have quite the handful of some beautiful breeds. I would say (from my limited experience) your girl is definitely within average. Probably pretty lean too considering her racing competitors. I wish my girl was more your dog's size than her current one, lol.

Reactions: Attaway1

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Website.

Beautiful dog! I'd love to see a picture of your pack. You have quite the handful of some beautiful breeds. I would say (from my limited experience) your girl is definitely within average. Probably pretty lean too considering her racing competitors. I wish my girl was more your dog's size than her current one, lol.

You can see some of my kids here. This website is badly outdated as I do a lot of posting on FaceBook.
Melissa

Attaway Borzoi *& Silken Windhounds - Attaway Borzoi and Silkens

·
Registered
7,234 Posts
I don't blame the old girl. If your Gsd bumped and rammed into her like mine do to each other I'd go for the trade too.

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
I don't blame the old girl. If your Gsd bumped and rammed into her like mine do to each other I'd go for the trade too.
He actually never did that to her. Sometimes he would pull her bed when she was on it. I mostly manged it so she wouldn't get too offended. We all understood and respected her decision. The GSD was just too much dog to her.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts