German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm changing my dog's food from Innova Adult which he's had most of his life due to ear allergies. Not sure what exactly is bothering him, but I thought I'd change the protein source and take it from there. Since he's been eating chicken/turkey based diet, I'm considering switching to Origen Fish or the Regional Red. I've read that both are wonderful quality, but I'm concerned over the long term use of Fish as the only protein source. What about mercury and other heavy metals found naturally in fish? It's advised that humans restrict their intake for the same reasons, so why not dogs?

For those of you who do feed an exclusive fish based diet, please give me your opinions and share how your dogs are doing on it.

Thank you,
Shelli

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
Orijen 6 fish is a great food you have no worries whats so ever. The main thing is to figure out what he is allergic to and going with a fish protein based food seems to be your best choice. Many dogs don't do good with chicken.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I agree you shouldnt have a problem with long term fish diet! Another option you could try is a bison, or venison if the fish doesnt work out!

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. Do you have any preference between Regional Red and 6Fish?
they are both terrific. just switch every few months.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts