German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

About a year ago, I posted a question about apparent issues with "same sex aggression" and received enough advice that even I heeded it and we put off our search for a puppy. Sadly and unexpectedly, our 9 yo GSD died last month from a ruptured splenic hemangiosarcoma.

We have 50 huskies here, but miss the presence of our big girl and having always had a GSD around, the place seems empty without her.

I have been reading many of the forum posts, here and other places and feel a little lost. We previously acquired our other shepherds from the same breeder in the UK, but now we have moved to the US, that is no longer feasible.

Given our location in Alaska, we're not really in a position to visit many breeders, so we are relying on the breeder a lot. I have read much advice that says you have to trust the breeder to pick the right dog, but as we have no experience with any of the kennels here ( and know none of the names) we are completely in the dark.

Ideally, we would like a long stock coat female pup. Temperament and health are obviously important.
She will be primarily a companion dog, with some "guarding" duties - our last GSD would let anyone in the house, she just wouldn't let them back out, unless we were there. We hike in the summer and have 80 acres, so there's plenty of free running and exercise. I have previously done some agility work and have a passing idea I might like to try tracking work with a new pup.

Apologies for the rambling post, I'm trying to cover most of the bases when asking for suggestions.

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
My Baron who is a long coat gsd is from Royal K9 Kennels in South Dakoita. I can highly recommend her. Baron was very well socialized and she spends a lot of time with the puppies and in matching the puppy to the clients. She does ship. This is her website: german shepherd breeder - Home - Fort Pierre, SD

As she says on her website, it is best to contact her for the latest information. I emailed her and received a prompt reply. She may have some puppies still available from the last litter. You can also check the FaceBook page and the group page for Royal K9 Kennel:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/370846999792091/.

·
Registered
7,267 Posts
There is no option to import a pup from your previous breeder at all? We recently imported from Poland. Our pup had a day layover with the broker here in the US along with a vet check, then he was off to Washington state.

On a side note, a coated dog running through the bush can be a bit of a grooming nightmare, lol! There seems to be no shortage of debris to comb out of my boys tail after hiking and camping.

·
Registered
6,769 Posts
My Baron who is a long coat gsd is from Royal K9 Kennels in South Dakoita. I can highly recommend her. Baron was very well socialized and she spends a lot of time with the puppies and in matching the puppy to the clients. She does ship. This is her website: german shepherd breeder - Home - Fort Pierre, SD

As she says on her website, it is best to contact her for the latest information. I emailed her and received a prompt reply. She may have some puppies still available from the last litter. You can also check the FaceBook page and the group page for Royal K9 Kennel:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/370846999792091/.
Maybe this is a stupid question but her contract says that you have to keep the dog on supplements that she gets a commission on and that if you fail to do so you are in breach of contract giving her the right to repo your dog, is that true?

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
Maybe this is a stupid question but her contract says that you have to keep the dog on supplements that she gets a commission on and that if you fail to do so you are in breach of contract giving her the right to repo your dog, is that true?
The breach of contract and giving her the right to repo the dog only applies to breeding as stated in Section D of the contract quote below:

D.)Buyer shall not breed the puppy unless it 1.) Has been x-rayed and certified clear of hip Dysplasia by the Orthopedic Foundation for Animals (OFA) with a grade of Fair, Good or Excellent or has received a European hip certification, AND 2.) Is older than 24 months of age at the time of breeding, AND 3.)Is bred by a mate who meets conditions 1 and 2 in paragraph D., AND 4.) Is purchased with Full AKC registration. Because the Parties recognize that precise damages for breach of this provision paragraph D might be too difficult to ascertain, Buyer agrees to be liable for liquidated damages in the amount of $1000.00 per puppy produced payable to Royal K9 Kennel, LLC. If the dog pertaining to this contract is bred or found to have been bred before 24 months of age or is bred without breeding rights,(FULL AKC), Buyer will be in BREACH OF CONTRACT. If a breach of contract is made, Royal K9 Kennel, LLC reserves the right to repossess the dog pertaining to this contract. In the event Full AKC registration is purchased, Buyer understands the dog is sold with breeding rights but not guaranteed breed-able.

The supplement and spay/neuter age will only render the contract void as quoted below in sections E and F: This only means that the health guarantees will no longer apply.
E.)The Buyer shall maintain the puppy in good condition, including adherence to regular immunization schedule, heartworm preventative, good diet and a clean safe environment. Buyer agrees not to use the puppy in any illegal activities. Buyer agrees not to spay or neuter the mentioned puppy/dog until 2 years of age. Spay or neutering before dog is 24 months old will render this contract null or void. Seller reserves the right to request veterinarian report of medical history, OFA report, and x-rays.

F.) Due to the large size to which our dogs grow, and the vast variety and quality of available dog foods, we require ALL of our puppies and dogs be kept on:
NuVet Labs nutritional supplement, “NuVet Plus Canine” until 2yrs of age. This supplement is very important for immune systems and helps fill the gaps that dog foods fail to. This can be ordered from
NuVet Labs 1-800-474-7044 using order code #57225 or http://www.nuvet.com/57225.

Failure to keep your pet on this supplement will render all guarantees are null or void.
Purchase of NuVet must be made with order code #57225 or all guarantees are null or void

Reactions: Sabis mom

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There is no option to import a pup from your previous breeder at all? We recently imported from Poland. Our pup had a day layover with the broker here in the US along with a vet check, then he was off to Washington state.

On a side note, a coated dog running through the bush can be a bit of a grooming nightmare, lol! There seems to be no shortage of debris to comb out of my boys tail after hiking and camping.
Sadly not, as she has passed on since we emigrated.

And yeah, we're the same with some of our longer coated huskies and our previous GSD, the amount of stuff they can carry in their coat is quite impressive.

·
Registered
7,267 Posts
My wife looked at a lot of long coat breeders before deciding to import. There is a California breeder I’ll try to post in a bit. Wl I think

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
@Mary Beth has given you one option for which she has personal experience. But if you're interested in other options I'd look at Schlossfelsen, they're in Nebraska. I have not dealt with them directly, but have spoken with others who have, and they were very happy with them. Their dogs are amazing! Especially this one IMHO:

LONGCOAT GERMAN SHEPHERD MALE, CARLO

Edit: I see the Schlossfelsen puppy contract has the exact same clause requiring NuVet Labs Plus Canine supplement for the hip guarantee.

Reactions: Mary Beth

·
Registered
6,769 Posts
@Mary Beth has given you one option for which she has personal experience. But if you're interested in other options I'd look at Schlossfelsen, they're in Nebraska. I have not dealt with them directly, but have spoken with others who have, and they were very happy with them. Their dogs are amazing! Especially this one IMHO:

LONGCOAT GERMAN SHEPHERD MALE, CARLO

Edit: I see the Schlossfelsen puppy contract has the exact same clause requiring NuVet Labs Plus Canine supplement for the hip guarantee.
I just don't get this. This means that for every puppy they sell they get residual income from the supplements AND if you miss a month you void the warranty. So a pay me or else thing.

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
It does seem a bit over the top to me also. But it also seems like I've had occasion to review lots of puppy purchase contracts lately for some reason, and it's truly amazing how many of them include stuff that basically renders the breeder's health guarantee null and void, or are worded in such a way that a buyer would never utilize it. I did read one lately that went totally the other way. If I remember it correctly, it was100% satisfaction with the dog or your money back...was going to cite the breeder, but can't seem to find the link...I'll update if/when I find it.

I'm not familiar with the NuVet Plus Canine supplement, maybe it's just that good?!

Reactions: MOJO9913

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It does seem a bit over the top to me also. But it also seems like I've had occasion to review lots of puppy purchase contracts lately for some reason, and it's truly amazing how many of them include stuff that basically renders the breeder's health guarantee null and void, or are worded in such a way that a buyer would never utilize it. I did read one lately that went totally the other way. If I remember it correctly, it was100% satisfaction with the dog or your money back...was going to cite the breeder, but can't seem to find the link...I'll update if/when I find it.

I'm not familiar with the NuVet Plus Canine supplement, maybe it's just that good?!
If it was truly that good, I'd have thought that a breeder's enthusiastic recommendation of it would have been sufficient. This compulsory requirement element, gives me a fair amount of misgiving.

I have made some general enquiries with a couple of breeders and am waiting for further information.

Thanks for the input from all.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts