German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
Getting a new puppy. Just curious if he will be long or stock. The breeder said there is no long coats in the pedigree but that all it takes is one recessive gene. The siblings are all noticeably stock he said and told me that this little guy may be a long coat definitely plushy but without the undercoat..... he couldn’t say for sure because this puppy is definitely different from the others. Just want some general opinions :) thank you.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,863 Posts
looks super fluffy but probably not long coated. I look for extra wavy long fluffs behind the ears.

·
Registered
6,534 Posts
I am not sure but that is one gorgeous puppy! I am going to vote for him being a long hair but that does not come from an area of expertise.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you!! I have another Shepherd he is almost 5, medium drive, he’s a stock, bi color. I was looking for another and this boys coloring and the fact that he could go long or plush really drew me to him. I do have a video of him from the breeder and he does have a mane under his throat thats pretty plushy. Hard for me to tell my his ear. He has some tufts behind his legs when they got him to lay down and he was on his back. He’s 5 weeks in the pictures. His siblings aren’t nearly as plushy. He’s also the most mellow of the litter I was told.

·
Super Moderator
32,312 Posts
Thank you, would you think plush possibly?
Plush is a descriptive term that can be applied to both stock coats and longcoats, it's not a coat type.

How old is the puppy? I can't say for sure, but he looks like he might be a coatie. When they're really young you can sometimes predict based on how a pup looks compared to the rest of the litter. Since the breeder indicated that he's different from all the others, that's a clue that he may be. Here's Dena's litter at 8 weeks old can you pick out the two coaties?

I think this photo is a bit younger:

·
Super Moderator
32,312 Posts
The one in the back is definitely a coatie in your picture. My little guy is 5 weeks right now.
That's Dena. Also, the green collar pup in the foreground of that photo. The two of them are on the left in the first photo. You can see their faces look rounder and fuller than their littermates.

·
Super Moderator
32,312 Posts
Thanks! Sadly, we lost her in 2008 at 4 years old to lymphoma. 💔 Her half sibling Keefer almost made it to 14, we let him go a little over a year ago. Right now we just have Cava. Here's her at 5 weeks old:

Her longcoat littermate Caia:

And you can see how different they look than their stock coat littermate Celeste:

Reactions: Shadow Shep

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am so sorry for your losses!!! Beautiful puppies all of them!! Mine doesn’t look as fluffy as your coaties, his ears are both still down also. But he is fluffier than your bottom stock coat and much fluffier than his siblings the breeder had shown me. I’m driving 5 hours to get him 😱
I’m in love with his coloring and his fluff, praying his is a coatie. He seemed to have a wonderful disposition in the video as well.

·
Super Moderator
32,312 Posts
I'm going to officially register my vote as yes, longcoat. :cool:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
AWESOME! I have been wanting one for about 10 years now. I was loving on his disposition and when the breeder sent me the video last night, I fell in love. He let his litter mates jump all over him and he just took it. The breeder told me he is very sweet and so laid back. Pee pad trained already at 5 weeks. So I am super excited. Thank you for your feedback, your super nice!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts