German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just began training with a local search and rescue group. They all use 20 foot leads which just feels short to me. Dont have the option of training off lead because much of the work is very urban (indianpolis).

what is your lead length preference and why?

·
Registered
344 Posts
i use a 33. I believe its standard and it gives lots of space. I would use no lead if my girl was better with recall...but its a build up....i'm only training as well.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
I just got a 30" lead for Shania. She is completely untrustworthy off leash since our city has been so anti-dog. It's only recently that I've found the 2 metre limit on leash length removed from the by-law and the other being reworded from prohibited from "parks" to "playgrounds." Now we can go play ball at the park and be legal :wild:.

For the first 10 years she had always been combined to a 4-6 ft leash off our property and god forbid she touch city grass. In our yard it was a leash or tie out (as long as I could make them).

·
Registered
344 Posts
I just got a 30" lead for Shania. She is completely untrustworthy off leash since our city has been so anti-dog. It's only recently that I've found the 2 metre limit on leash length removed from the by-law and the other being reworded from prohibited from "parks" to "playgrounds." Now we can go play ball at the park and be legal :wild:.

For the first 10 years she had always been combined to a 4-6 ft leash off our property and god forbid she touch city grass. In our yard it was a leash or tie out (as long as I could make them).
boy....that's really strict :(.

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
Most folks I know use the longer lead but work in the 15-20 foot zone and have the rest trailing to grab to maintain tension going around trees etc.

We *are* talking about working SAR dogs here, no?

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
Most folks i know don't buy leads - they just tie a clip to a peice of climbing rope or webbing..........

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes we are talking about SAR. my idea is to have a lead made thats 28 feet with a ring at 15 handle at 20 ring at 24 and handle at the end (28) then if i am in an area where my dog might go over a high edge i can clip the end handle to the 24 foot mark and put it around my shoulder for better grip should she go over the edge. if i am working a smaller area where 28 is not needed i can either use the 20 foot mark or bring the end up and clip it to the 15 foot mark to shorten the lead up. if it doesnt work out then there is already a handle at 20 and i can just cut the rest off and use it as a short lead.

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
You may want to reconsider all these rings and handles as they can snag in a hearbeat and the rings will rip your hands up under the right circumstances.

You need to be able to feed that line through your hands or choke up on it. They sometimes sell them with a handle on the end as they can also be used as obedience long lines but I would cut that sucker off.

Maybe a knot near the end so you know when you are going to run out. I am not sure what you mean by "edge" since you are in Indiana.

Just google "trailing dog" and select images and you will see what I mean about how the lines are used - typically with a length of it running behind you which is very helpful if you are maneuvering around trees.

Seriously - a 30 foot lenght of static climbing rope or nylon webbing with the clasp secured by a figure 8 and a few strategically placed knots is "all good"

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
by edge i mean bridge/training tower.... two occasions this year come to mind. one with the local fema team had a dog carry a scent of the top parrapet wall of the training tower (off lead) and fall 4 stories and died.

the other with the group i am with. the scent took the dog over the edge of a 40 foot bridge and the dog followed the scent right over the edge, but the dog was wearing a pulling harness and didnt hit the ground. hence my desire to be able to link it onto itself over my shoulder accross my chest.

i see your point though with the ring not sliding through my hands easily but the ring wont be any wider than the line. the line will be made of recycled rubber material for ease of cleaning and wont absorb any scents we train with.

the ring at the 24 would not get in the way because it would be the remider i am almost to the end. the ring at 15 could be a problem so i might have to request it be equal diameter of the main line and attached in a way that it can lay flat with the main line.

here is a link to the guys sight who will be making it for me. i am ONLY going to use this guy because thats who the rest of the group will be making a bulk order with.

i trained with a two 20 foot leads together last night and it was too much. seems like the last 10 feet kept getting in my way hence going with 28 foot. the other handles are just to make it a very versatile lead.

here is the link
Before you order...

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
Defiinitely something way outside of any experience I have. I have worked under overpasses with my cadaver dog, but not urban trailing.

The bridge question is interesting though. I think I would figure scent would be EVERYWHERE on a bridge and would mark the entrance and try to pick it up at the other end......

You can keep the Biothane. :) Way too heavy for my liking. People either love it or hate it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I ditched that idea. i am going to go with a plain 28 foot lead for now.
the highth thing is a real concern, and i have a feeling it happens more often than people realize. twice this year, just in this county. and another close call when they were training in a parking garage. the "victim" was in the middle but the air was being forced outwards and up, carrying the scent up and around the levels. a dog one level up didnt take the scent downwards but picked up up coming up and over the edge. would have gone over more than likely if he wasnt on a lead w/ the handler keeping him held back.

with 28 foot, i can put a carribeaner on the handle around my shoulder and back onto the line and still have about 24 feet to work with.

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
I sure won't go there with regards to urban trailing but I would still question the wisdom of tying into your dog in anythihg but a rapelling situation. I really think good line handling and situational awareness could forestall disaster.

I do have experience with having a line wrapped around my hand while working on a boat. Dog went over and, by the grace of God, I did not and we did not flip the boat. Having 70 lbs sailing off of anything is a lot of force.

Everytime I get on a police boat with a big Engine, my heart goes a little bit into my stomach but I just have to look at the odds and accept the small risk that my dog will go over AND will become prop wash. But if that should happen, I won't be prop wash with him.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts