German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used to like snow... this might be a bit much though!

Question of the day: how do you people with coaties get the ice balls out of their fur? Lupa's fur isn't even that long yet, but after 10 minutes outside bounding through the drifts (which are taller than she is, luckily she doesn't sink all the way through) she has ice balls stuck in the feathers behind all of her legs and on her belly & chest. Rubbing them out with a towel takes awhile and she tends to think the moving towel is a game...

·
Registered
815 Posts
Re: Long hair & snow

I just posted a pic of Nico with them in his feet and it was just from a potty trip. Poor guy, last big snow he came in after playing with what looked like ping pong balls all over his belly, manly areas and leg feathers.

I just try to crush the snowball into pieces and pinch it out of the fur. Just pulling will hurt the sensitive areas and the towel thing takes long, as you said.

There's not a whole lot you could do for the legs, but for the feet, you have to keep the fuzz between the toes and pads as short as possible. I'm guilty of having let that slide so I've gotta do it again. I use scissors since he basically sleeps while I do it, but it's better to shave with clippers.

For the body/legs, I think a conditioning oil spray will help keep the snow from sticking. I have Mink Oil coat spray that I'm thinking of trying out before I let them out for a play romp later.

Good luck!

·
Registered
815 Posts
On the body/legs that's okay, but make sure to check their feet between the pads. The ice can get packed in there pretty solidly and their feet aren't as warm as human feet, so it can stay there a long while. Plus, it's very painful for them to have to walk like that, though many dogs won't show it unless it's really bad.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We keep her feet fuzz trimmed so her paws are actually not bad at all, and those are quick to wipe off with the towel. Unfortunately we don't have any spray-on conditioner for her feathers, and not likely to be able to leave the house for the next few days to get any. I'll try the pinching, thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
We recommend "Skin so soft" from Avon.......
Dilute it with a little warm water, and spray it on before going out side.....ice doesn't stick so hard.....and lightly spray it on after....ice comes right off. Dog smells great too!
a little FYI.....oh....bugs don't like it either in the summer months.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts