German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering, since most long haired German shepherds don't have undercoats, do they shed ferociously like normal coated GSDs?

·
Registered
572 Posts
I have a long haired and as long as I keep her regularly brushed, she's not bad. When we pet her, her hair doesn't just fall out (like other short haired gsd's can be). Maybe it is because the grooming isn't as necessary (esp. in summer) so short haired don't get brushed as much??

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
I've had three long haired GSDs, all three had undercoats, and all three shedded like a normal GSD. You need a regular grooming routine like you would with any GSD.

·
Super Moderator
6,287 Posts
Originally Posted By: KonotashiI was wondering, since most long haired German shepherds don't have undercoats, do they shed ferociously like normal coated GSDs?
actually, most long haired german shepherds do have undercoats. . . which means they'll shed about the same, but generally not more than a standard gsd [which is a common misconception].

i have one of each. my longhair male sheds considerably less than my short coated female EXCEPT, he blows his coat twice a year, as oppose to her once.

i prefer his shedding, as the longer hairs collect and form soft 'tumble weeds' in corners and along the wall. gia's hair will just settle everywhere!

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
Yes, my LC does shed a lot, just like every other GSD I have had.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Originally Posted By: Camerafodder I prefer his shedding, as the longer hairs collect and form soft 'tumble weeds' in corners and along the wall. gia's hair will just settle everywhere!
Thats what those are! I thought my rug was wearing out! Little balls of fuzz everywhere....

·
Registered
691 Posts
I've been told that the long coat not having an undercoat is rare, and most do.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Our long coat doesn't seem to shed any more than our standard did (and our standard wasn't much of a shedder.) I'll occasionally find a really long hair on the floor, but no tumbleweeds blowing around the house.

Our short-coated mixed breed, on the other hand, sheds constantly! I'm always picking up little tufts of white hair and if you pet her, little hairs just go everywhere. I think it has something to do with the winter season, dry indoor heat, old age, something, because she doesn't usually shed this much.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts