German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is our first long coated shepherd and I have some general questions about grooming her. She is 10 weeks now. Should I be brushing her undercoat completely so there are no snarls? Or does their undercoat grow out and shed without needing much brushing? She is so fluffy right now and has a very thick coat. I don't know if I should be getting all of the undercoat or if it's not necessary. I don't want her to get matted. And if I am supposed to get all her coat, any detangler recommendations? I have a husky shepherd mix and she has a thick undercoat but it has never got matted or snarled. Thank you!

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
I'd brush her completely but I'd also make it a pleasant event at her age........because you will be brushing her a lot over the years.

Besides a slicker brush, I have had good luck with a metal comb which has two sizes ( fineness ) to it. https://www.amazon.com/Andis-2-Inch-Steel-Comb-65730/dp/B004UTDHP2/ref=asc_df_B004UTDHP2/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198060065450&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=11524086247282719900&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9019691&hvtargid=pla-414464102317&psc=1

SuperG

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you! I did some short brushing sessions today and gave lots of treats and didn't make it long ordeals. But I felt like her coat is already feeling pretty "snarly" and I'm not sure if that's normal for her age.

·
Registered
4,543 Posts

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
Just to add......IMO longstocks drop less shed on a daily basis because the guard hairs "hold" a fair amount of the undercoat as it sheds.....therefore matting of undercoat can become more of a problem if not brushed out on a daily basis.

BUT....when they blow their coat......it's a whole different deal.

SuperG

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Yes, brush the undercoat, they can mat up so quickly. I can brush mine daily and get bags of hair everyday. It looks like we've killed small animals. I love the how they look, but they are work.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Every morning after breakfast, I try to do a 5-minute handling session with pup. We either practice grooming, practice handling his feet for nail trimming, practice handling him as a vet would do, or practice having a bath. 'Dry your feet' is a hoot. He stands on the bathmat and spins once to the right and once to the left. Lots of lovin' and lots of treats.

Lots of fun practice so when we need to do these things it is quick and enjoyable for everyone involved. Spring is coming

·
Registered
7,217 Posts
I like a good coat rake for Ranger. I will also use the Airforce dryer occasionally too. The dryer works well, but it can cause the ends of the hair to knot up if you hold the hose too far back, learned that the hard way. Oh yeah, the dryer method will create a furricane, best to be done outdoors.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone! I have a husky/shepherd mix so I understand shedding and blowing coats lol! I heard she won't shed as much compared to shorter coats so I'm hoping that stays true. I'm working on daily brushes with lots of treats :) I appreciate all of the advice!

·
Super Moderator
4,679 Posts
I brush mine every single night as well. It gives me a chance to inspect my dog for bugs, scratches, bump, dirt etc that can be hiding under all that hair and fur. Especially important since my sweetheart invites him onto the bed for a good night hug.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Long coats are hard to brush, especially if you live in the country and your dog brings home burs and stick tights. You will be brushing your dog a lot.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I wouldn’t even brush a puppy that is that young yet... they’re still so fragile and sensitive and my guy had barely any fur at that age..
if I did brush it would be once a week tops with a plastic human comb no fur rakes etc way too young for that

1 - 14 of 14 Posts