German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we have a 12 week old GSD. We were told he was a long coat (I’ve never had a coated GSD, only stock). Can anyone confirm? If he is a long coat, at what point can we expect his coat to come in? Thanks!!

·
Super Moderator
7,352 Posts
yes. long coat. adult coat generally starts to come in around 4months... however he won’t get his full length until closer to 2yrs... but each dog is different and both the length and fullness of coats vary greatly.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your response! I saw a lot of different information on line about long versus plush... I knew he wasn't a stock, I've always had stock, but I was not sure what a long coat looks like at this stage

·
Super Moderator
7,352 Posts
plush is a descriptive term, not a genetic coat type. both long and stock coats can be plush.

Reactions: Cassidy's Mom

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
plush is a descriptive term, not a genetic coat type. both long and stock coats can be plush.
Thank you for explaining that! There were a few in his litter that the breeder expected to be plush but I wasn't 100% sure what that meant. Kinda felt dumb to be honest, I've owned several GSD in my life lol

·
Super Moderator
7,352 Posts
Thank you for explaining that! There were a few in his litter that the breeder expected to be plush but I wasn't 100% sure what that meant. Kinda felt dumb to be honest, I've owned several GSD in my life lol
nah, it’s not just you... i really wish the term would go away, i’ve not seen it do anything more than confuse people.

·
Registered
6,428 Posts
nah, it’s not just you... i really wish the term would go away, i’ve not seen it do anything more than confuse people.
Awww! I like the term and distinction. And we didn't even get started on mole coats yet!

·
Super Moderator
4,847 Posts
Welcome to the world of everyone wanting to come and see your long haired GSD and most people asking what kind of dog it is. Our longer coated buddies draw so much attention. Be ready to protect your pup from unwanted advances. There is just something that makes people want to touch all that great long fur.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It’s been happening since he was 8 weeks!! Nobody knows what he is. Once they hear GSD they ask if he’s full blooded. The amount of people who ask to touch him or take pictures of him is crazy! I Definitely agree with the need to protect him from unwanted advances so many people already go to touch him. I spend more time correcting people than him when he’s in public lol he’s going to be a handsome boy when it all comes in.

·
Super Moderator
7,352 Posts
agreed. they’re striking. my coatie will hands down be the most beautiful dog i’ve ever owned. cars pulled over to ask about him.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I always thought GSD were stunning, head turning dogs. But add a long coat and it's just magic. Thor still isn't a fan of brushing yet, but we will get there.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts