German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What do you people with long coats do to help your dogs stay cool in the hot months. Rosko was a pup last warm season so it didn't seem to be an issue. He is almost a year old now and a lot more active and a lot longer hair. He loved the snow actually preferred to lay in it. Now that north indiana is warm. He seems miserable. He's constantly hot. His favorite spot has become below my kids trampoline in the sand. And it is only in the seventies. He's gonna crap when it hits 90.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
my long coat handles heat fine. Water, shady places, conditioning them to get used to the weather, we do lots of short walks. Kiddie pool with water in my backyard

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my long coat handles heat fine. Water, shady places, conditioning them to get used to the weather, we do lots of short walks. Kiddie pool with water in my backyard
Rosko does OK if were just out walking around or working in the garden. Its when we play fetch or anything where he exerts himself. I have kept the AC in the house off hoping it would help to acclimate him to the heat. May just take some time.

Attachments

·
Registered
346 Posts
I will second the Kiddie pool. Rocco loves to splash and play in it when it is hot. We also try to keep them inside once we are at 90. Other than that they all find shade and are fine.

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
I'm thirding ( is there such a thing? ) the kiddie pool...also a sprinkler a few times a day....the sprinkler could be one of her most favorite sources of entertainment as well as mine watching her deal with it. My longstock...which I keep trimmed....seems to do just fine throughout the summer heat here. I've heard that the long coat works both ways...insulates a bit in the cold as well as doing the same in the heat...a barrier between the heat and their body....but once they get heated up...it probably takes longer for them to cool down.

SuperG

·
4,483 Posts
water and shade and plenty to drink. We stay inside if it gets too hot, walk early in the day before air and black top gets too hot. At bedtime we have CHillspot beds. They are a bit pricey but I expect they will last the life of our dogs and then some.

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
I have two with long coats in NW Ohio. The heat doesn't seem to bother them. I keep their running to earlier and later in the day when it's hot. I use a large Rubbermaid horse trough instead of a kiddie pool. It holds up great and I can just release the water through the plug instead of having to flip it.

·
Registered
7,138 Posts
My younger male loves his kiddie pool, though I like the idea of the horse trough. He does fine out in the heat, it doesn't seem to bother him much. I have a stock coat that will only follow along the shade routes for excursions outside once it warms up. Playing fetch (even in moderate temperatures) she will run straight for the ball, but then returns using the shade from the neighbors garage, our camper, and our maple tree before reaching me.

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
Kacie my longcoat never showed that she was hotter than the other dogs. She loved water, but took forever to dry out compared to the stock coats. I always worried about hot spots forming due to that moisture getting trapped in her thick coat. I also tried to keep the air off so the dogs weren't so use to the cool air. I miss her so much.

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
My younger male loves his kiddie pool, though I like the idea of the horse trough. He does fine out in the heat, it doesn't seem to bother him much. I have a stock coat that will only follow along the shade routes for excursions outside once it warms up. Playing fetch (even in moderate temperatures) she will run straight for the ball, but then returns using the shade from the neighbors garage, our camper, and our maple tree before reaching me.
I bought this trough about 20 years ago for my black Lab. It's held up well all these years. I leave it outside in the winter behind a shed, but flipped over.
It's been worth every penny.

·
Registered
7,138 Posts
I bought this trough about 20 years ago for my black Lab. It's held up well all these years. I leave it outside in the winter behind a shed, but flipped over.
It's been worth every penny.
I'm going to look for one, he goes through kiddie pools quickly. Last year the warm weather dragged on through September and no stores were carrying them that late in the season.

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ill have to keep the strenuous stuff for in the AM and late in the evening.

·
4,483 Posts
We have a 300 gal rubber horse trough at our IPO club. It is replacing a couple of really filthy kiddie pools. Where is the best place to get one of those? I checked Tractor Supply online for a start.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts