German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Haha it's his favorite, he goes nuts for ostrich bones, luckily it keeps him from chewing on us.
We don't have ostriches to speak of here in Montana, but we do have breeders of emus....may have to look into that. ;) Absolutely ADORABLE puppy!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We don't have ostriches to speak of here in Montana, but we do have breeders of emus....may have to look into that. ;) Absolutely ADORABLE puppy!
Here we have a lot of ostriches 🙈
Emu bones will probably be similar I'd assume.

·
Premium Member
11,471 Posts
Ostriches??? I am embarrassed to admit I do not recognize the country's flag! Where do you live? That is a heck of a big bone!!!!! And here in US - not one we see ordinarily!

At first I did not think she was a coat.....but then the ear floff !!!!! She is a real cutie!

Lee

·
Registered
5,470 Posts
At one point I owned and was breeding a total of ~100 ostriches on a 120 acre farm in Milton, ON Canada. The economics (eggs/year, mortality rate, cost per harvested pound, use of all parts/meat/feathers/skin, cost to raise/feed per pound, age to harvest etc) is pretty compelling.

As I have said before, the only issue is wrangling as you can't herd with horses and they're not afraid of you or your dog(s).y are mean and FAST. The only thing more difficult to work are buffalo. We had 3 Catahoulas that could deal with them and my GSD was brilliant around them.

And they're good eating!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
At one point I owned and was breeding a total of ~100 ostriches on a 120 acre farm in Milton, ON Canada. The economics (eggs/year, mortality rate, cost per harvested pound, use of all parts/meat/feathers/skin, cost to raise/feed per pound, age to harvest etc) is pretty compelling.

As I have said before, the only issue is wrangling as you can't herd with horses and they're not afraid of you or your dog(s).y are mean and FAST. The only thing more difficult to work are buffalo. We had 3 Catahoulas that could deal with them and my GSD was brilliant around them.

And they're good eating!
Oml wow, they are really confident animals, that must've been a lot of hard work, it's great that your dogs were willing to work with them!

·
Premium Member
11,471 Posts
There was a small farm with them about 30 miles away and occasionally I would see some from the road ....been around Emus....which are big but I know significantly smaller.

Yes - the ear fluff is a dead giveaway and a physical expression that the genetics for long coat are there....even if the coat is rather just plushy than full, it is still considered a long coat.

I believe someone I know in the US Diplomatic Corp is getting posted to SA or nearby soon, and wants to get a GSD pup while there.

Lee

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
@wolfstraum
Yesss, emus are quite big, but imagine about double that!

Ohhh I see, that makes sense. Thank you so much for taking the time to explain that to me!

Lovely, that'd be a great idea. A lot of breeders in out country produce beautiful pups.

·
Registered
Athena, GSD, dob 5/2021
119 Posts
Your pup looks like a little lion with those floors! He is gorgeous! :love::love:

We have neither ostriches or emus, but we have plenty of turkey vultures. Ostriches and emus sound so much more interesting...

·
Registered
719 Posts
Goodness he is a cutie pie isn't he!
it's all about the ear floofs then later ear and butt floofs and then if your lucky you may even get some elbow floofs 😁

• Love
Reactions: Rawhi
1 - 20 of 31 Posts