German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Took my dog to a groomer for a bath, nail cut and dematting. They shave my boy entirely. Other than being pissed at myself for not staying I would like some info.Max is a black 7 year old ( Coated, Long Haired, Long coat) what ever is the correct term? From what I can research on line his coat if it grows back will be patchy and grey.
1) Is this correct?
2) If so what are the best options to help him grow back a healthy coat?
Ant direction or suggestions would help
Anf yes I'm taking him to my vet tomorrow.
Tom F

Registered
It may come back just fine, but could take up to a year. do you have pictures of how short he is now? A lot will depend on if the hair follicles were damaged.

Unfortunately if a dog is badly matted shaving is often the only solution. Dematting can be quite painful and some dogs simply will not tolerate the process.

To encourage regrowth make sure your dog is on a quality diet. If the body is lacking nutrition then it won't devote resources to growing a healthy coat. Because the udnercoat will grow in prior to the guard hairs you will need to be very diligent about regular brushing to make sure it does not mat up again and result in another shave down. This may mean brushing out multiple times a week or even daily. Regular brushing will also help stimulate regrowth.

Registered
Matts can usually be worked out without shaving. I used to groom a friend's Elkhound when she left her in my care - my friend rarely brushed the dog so I know that matts can be worked out. It takes time and care. Seems like the groomer wasn't up to the task. Now my friend did have her dog shaved (over my strenuous objections) for summers and her hair did grow back fine. We're hoping the same for your guy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts