German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im off to work tomorrow Max a 4 month old will be chained up to his kennel for the week days until i get home . At this stage the back yard will not be fenced for about a week .
I have a 3 metre chain for him but he really barks and gets really frustrated etc.
What can i do to ease his pain as he will be alone for 8 hrs per day . :eek:

·
2,967 Posts
Get an actual kennel run, or an Xpen or something else. I would crate my dog and get a neighbor or a pet walker or the kid from down the street to come by and let them pup out. A 4 month old should be able to hold it for 4 hours, so if someone could come by and let the pup out once in the middle of the day that would be good.

Giving him interactive food toys, like Kongs, Treat Balls, etc. can help give him something to do.

Chaining a dog can create, like you said, frustration which can in turn create a number of behavior problems including major aggression issues.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Get an actual kennel run, or an Xpen or something else. I would crate my dog and get a neighbor or a pet walker or the kid from down the street to come by and let them pup out. A 4 month old should be able to hold it for 4 hours, so if someone could come by and let the pup out once in the middle of the day that would be good.

Giving him interactive food toys, like Kongs, Treat Balls, etc. can help give him something to do.

Chaining a dog can create, like you said, frustration which can in turn create a number of behavior problems including major aggression issues.

So true , im looking at coming home in my lunchtime and letting him out and even getting another 3m chain so he can go further once the yard is fully fenced he will be running free .

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
I agree 100% with JKlatsky. Just wanted to add, that it's a terrible risk you'd take with the chain, because your pup would be helpless against another dog or person coming into your yard. Also, check in the phone book or with your vet, there may be a pet sitting service that can come and let your dog out at noon. Leaving a radio on also will provide your pup with some "company". I would even look into kenneling only for the daytime - leave the pup at the kennel when you go to work and pick up on the way back.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Do you guys think it would be better to leave him in the garage then maybe ..
If it is dog proofed and doesn't get overly hot. I'd probably still suggest getting a small kennel to put in there. Or if you have a basement, you could set up a small kennel there maybe.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
I would not chain my dog ever. I have had to use my garage as a dog kennel once. I also puppy proof the kitchen and leave a pup in there instead of a crate for long periods of time.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Does not sound like a good idea...

A puppy chained up in 8 hours will most certanly get wired up in the chain at some point, and will not be able to unwire itself.

I would also suggest a crate inside the house, and a visit during your lunch brake to take him outside.

Also I would strongly suggest that you train him to be alone for at least some days before he is alone for 4 hours. Maybe you already did this? Training him to be alone first for a couple of minitues, and then increasing that time?

·
Registered
12,142 Posts
and do not leave him unsupervised in the yard once you get it fenced.

I agree with the others...inside...safe...

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
and do not leave him unsupervised in the yard once you get it fenced.

I agree with the others...inside...safe...
As im not at work today i was thinking bout cleaning out garage and putting him in there but now im thinking closing off kitchen and he can stay in there as that is where i feed him.
I have organised someone to check on him bout 2 hrs after i have gone then in about 2 more hours after that i will come home and check on him at my lunchtime . :)

Im thinking that this could be the best option .

·
Registered
475 Posts
If you have no choice, I would be leaving him in the kitchen rather than chained outside. He could get caught up in his chain and really hurt himself. Just make sure you puppy proof your kitchen first (as I'm sure you will). If you can perhaps you could test run it today? Leave him in the kitchen for a few hours and go out. Leave a radio going for him to, this helps my neighbors dog.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Just buy a crate and keep him in that.

Outside attached to a chain is just a horrible idea. Sooner or later you're going to come back to either a dead or missing puppy.

Even unsupervised in the kitchen is taking your chances. Puppies have a way of getting into all types of trouble.

Buy a crate and crate train. I started crate training Lucy since she was a puppy and she loves her crate. She can be in there for hours and hours without a peep.

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
I'm not sure why you are ignoring all the great crate suggestions.

We all do it, we love our dogs, they love their crates, and they are in a safe secure place FOR SURE when we aren't home....

CRATE HIM and show you do love him.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I would get a crate and keep it in the kitchen. Stryder took to a crate immediately and he is only in it now to eat and sometimes sleep if he is overly tired.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
I'm not sure why you are ignoring all the great crate suggestions.

We all do it, we love our dogs, they love their crates, and they are in a safe secure place FOR SURE when we aren't home....

CRATE HIM and show you do love him.
I think some people think it's cruel to keep a dog in a small area like a crate for a long time, but it's the complete opposite. Dogs feel safe and secure in crates like a wolf would feel safe in a small den or cave. It's really the same idea.

If you crate train correctly and make it a positive place, the dog is going to learn that the crate is their space to go and be safe. Gives treats everytime they go in the crate. Feed in the crate. Leave toys in the crate. Whatever you have to do, but keep it positive. Never EVER get mad and force your dog in the crate. Again, always keep it positive.

I can tell you that Lucy still to this day loves her crate and would never even think about keeping her anywhere else while i'm not home. Half of the time she goes in there all by herself, i don't even have to say a word.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I actually put him on the chain this afternoon and i watched him as he barked from a place he couldnt see me and his tail was wagging all the time .
I also puppy proofed the kitchen and left him in there with radio on - he seemed happy in there i think .

As for crates - what do you mean by this ? Any pics ?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I ended up leaving him oh the chain since my builder mate was gonna be there and i came home at lunchtime and let him out to run round . He barked for a bit when i left but my mate said he just sat and watched me .
I did try the kitchen but he seemed to like the open spaces better .
Yard is all fenced now so over time he will have that to run round on . :)

1 - 20 of 51 Posts