German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Find an experienced dog trainer who has experience with working GSD's, Malinois, etc. Prong Collars work wonders when fitted and used properly.

·
Registered
92 Posts
A nice quick fix is various and sudden direction changes, swinging your opposite leg in front of the dog to change directions, keeping them close to your side. Soon enough they start focusing moreso on you to see what you're doing and which direction you'll turn, reward that. Larry Krohn on YouTube has some good videos on leash pulling.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Hi Nikki and Matt,
Again I'll suggest that booklet I mentioned before to you. "Feisty Fido" by Patricia McConnell, Animal Behaviorist, on Amazon for $8.95

She covers all the techniques for handling the problems you're having with Lola out in public.
These are pretty common behaviors that young dogs have when they haven't been trained as youngsters.
The above comment about re-directing is one of several techniques she uses. It does help.

This is an easily followed book giving you step by step directions to overcome these problems.

Also I'll say again, get involved in a good Basic Obedience Class near you. They're out there and usually don't cost much. Good obedience is the foundation to encouraging good behaviors and stamping out
the rebelliousness that so many young dogs seem to get at this young age.

1. Get the booklet
2. Sign up for Basic Obedience class

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Nikki and Matt,
Again I'll suggest that booklet I mentioned before to you. "Feisty Fido" by Patricia McConnell, Animal Behaviorist, on Amazon for $8.95

She covers all the techniques for handling the problems you're having with Lola out in public.
These are pretty common behaviors that young dogs have when they haven't been trained as youngsters.
The above comment about re-directing is one of several techniques she uses. It does help.

This is an easily followed book giving you step by step directions to overcome these problems.

Also I'll say again, get involved in a good Basic Obedience Class near you. They're out there and usually don't cost much. Good obedience is the foundation to encouraging good behaviors and stamping out
the rebelliousness that so many young dogs seem to get at this young age.

1. Get the booklet
2. Sign up for Basic Obedience class

Hope this helps.
They dint do classes at the moment due to coronavirus alot has been put on hold due to that we spoke to vets also about that so until that's back and running we cant do classes. She has her first vets course booked for 6th December so I will speak to vets again also. Thanks again.

·
Registered
Trouble "Bailey" (27/01/2021) and his teenage handler
293 Posts
The best thing that I’ve done for Bailey (who is also 9 months, and reactive) is go to a trainer who understands working dogs. A better (leather, nylon) leash might help your dog too. We have that same chain leash (my brother thought it was cool) but it’s not great for corrections, and doesn’t give much control, from my experience with it. We’ve switched to a halti dual ended leash.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts