German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a local restaurant and bar that is highly dog oriented that a neighbor and I stopped by last night on the way home from the south eastern wildlife expo (whole diff story, but neither of my dogs reacted to being about 5 feet from a mountain lion in a cage!). Anyway, as I'm walking with dogs to the fenced in patio a guy comes up to me and begins telling me how he has bred & trained GSDs for over 30 years, that he has over 150 dogs in the "working dog system" (he kept referring to "the working dog system" lol). He's beginning to lose a little cred with me. Then he tells me he has 2 dogs in his jeep that are... I believe he said "lepherds", which was explained to me as lab/gsd mix... that they were crossed on purpose (dunno why), and that they are amazingly well trained and better than a regular GSD. Ok, whatever, I'll humor him.. I don't like conflict.
So then he calls my female to the edge of the fence (he was outside of the patio) and pets her, grabs her hips and tells me she's got really tight "jumping" hips. About this time my neighbor texts me and tells me he's drunk and just got in an argument with him before I arrived... great.. Then he says to my dog "gimmie sit" over and over again. My male comes over, and he says the same thing. So *I* tell them to sitz and they do. He then tells me I need to work on my training, and I said, well they don't respond to english, and I've worked on and prefer them to listen only to the handler. He disagrees and says that the dog should obey anyone. He then tries to hand shake my dog. I tell him he doesn't do tricks. The guy stands up and looks him straight in the eyes and says something I didn't catch in an aggressive tone and some snide comments about my dogs being untrained. My male really doesn't like strange men at night being that close to us, and particularly at this point I'm getting tense as I'm not sure what this moon-bat is going to do. So Jäger gives a very strong, aggressive bark while still sitting (and wagging his tail lol) and the guy jumps 5 feet back and tells me I need to socialize my dogs if I want to have them in public. I tell them that they are in public 24/7 and we just came from an event with ~50,000 people and about the same amount of dogs with no incidents (a K9 handler working actually came over and produced a kong on a rope to play with Katya and really loved her.. *HE* actually used german commands correctly). So he stomps off, and calls his dogs for 5 minutes to jump out of his jeep. They won't so he eventually comes and lets them out. First thing they do is charge the fence and go ballistic at our dogs (2 gsds and a cane corso). I recall Katya and she returns to me, hackles raised and growling and all, while the other dogs are still teeth-gnashing at the fence (horray for Katya! We are finally getting her to think even when she's ultra-distracted). Jager never left my seat. He has to come manually remove his dogs from the fence. He then begins to try to "demo" the dogs training (send outs, recalls, etc) They don't do any of it. So he tells his dogs to get back in the jeep. Dogs run by fence and the fence attack happens again lol. Katya once again charges but recalls midway on command.

Finally the guy leaves after tripping and falling on the way inside and is told no more booze for you... good lord, some people are so stupid.

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
wow i wonder if he put a lamp shade on his head too (Brad Paisley reference)

·
Registered
30,390 Posts
wow i wonder if he put a lamp shade on his head too (Brad Paisley reference)
:rofl: That song was my first thought too! I think the OP handled it beautifully! No sense getting irate at the guy, no matter how annoying.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Wow. He sure must have been hammered to approach 2 gsds and begin fondling them! Liquid courage.

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The funny thing is our dogs are at this place a few times a week, and all the waitresses and owner always ask about our dogs by name...

I also have people occasionally come up and try to talk to my male first which always gets a "gruff" out of him. I always have to tell them to talk to me first before talking to my dog. Funny how people don't understand dogs much.

Side note: I'm going to enter Katya in the dock-dog competition next year at the SEWE. I think she can win. She can do a running long jump well over 20ft. If I can translate that to a dock jump I will crush all the labs/chessies/spaniels jumps.

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was really surprised that a GSD protection/police/military dog breeder didn't use german commands, and asked for a paw shake lol

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Hilarious! Hope he trained one of those dogs to drive him home when he gets drunk...or at least hide his keys!
On another note- that sounds like a really great place to hang out! I love Charleston in general.

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hilarious! Hope he trained one of those dogs to drive him home when he gets drunk...or at least hide his keys!
On another note- that sounds like a really great place to hang out! I love Charleston in general.
He had a wife/SO there that took control of him lol.

Charleston is having a big dog show thing on May 7th I think. I love it here, I'll never leave

·
Registered
283 Posts
Another genius "dog expert" heard from. :) Like with most things, people that talk a lot, usually can't back it up.

I love the people that come up in public, and have to say nonsensical things like "Can you sit???" and when my dog ignores them I tell people "He doesn't speak English very well" or "Oh, he doesn't know that yet." and play stupid. Then they tell me I should work on that. Boy, if they only knew :)

Don't get me wrong: my dogs are great, and I always try to be an ambassor for the breed, to educate the uninformed, and socialize my dogs with the public constantly. Just please don't try to train my dog for me. :)

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
last time I took the CGC test I had a lady come up to me and Dodger and say aww what a pretty little girl, I kinda laughed and told her he's a boy,she apologized to him like it hut his feelings lol. she then proceeded to tell him sit in a high pitched baby voice, and he likes to mess with people that he doesn't know when they do that, he looks at her like she's dumb, then looks and me and my neighbor like should I? he went half way down then stood back up lol it was hilarious because the look on his face told me he knew exactly what she was asking him to do he just wanted to play dumb and not do it. I made him sit though lol

·
Registered
508 Posts
When one of my dogs takes a dislike to someone, I usually re-asure them, and tell them that it's only because my dogs are supprisingly discerning. :D

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
When one of my dogs takes a dislike to someone, I usually re-asure them, and tell them that it's only because my dogs are supprisingly discerning. :D
In a situation like that, when my dogs alert or posture at someone that is clearly a potential threat, I quietly reassure them after the situation has passed

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
don't ya just love running into "expert dog trainers" especially at a bar LOL

1 - 19 of 19 Posts