German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone!

Just wanted to share a few photos of Loki. He's going through a stage of maturity physically and mentally, it's neat to see him grow up!

For those who don't know of Loki and his story with me... long story short; I adopted him at 10mo after he was about to be shot to death. I lucked out big time, he's a fantastic dog.

We had our first lesson with a trainer yesterday to help us overcome some leash reactivity. That went really well, I was definitely headed in the right direction. Other than that snafu, his overall training is going remarkably! He can sit, stay, come, has door manners, and he does it pretty reliably inside, outside, at stores, etc. He doesn't pull on the leash at all until he sees another dog, then we have that leash-reactivity issue which I really don't foresee being a huge problem long-term at all. He is very forgiving when I make a mistake, too. I am new to this as my former dogs have been untrained family dogs. Oh, and he loves meeting people, who are naturally drawn to his goofy and happy-go-lucky personality. Eeeeveryone wants to meet Loki!

Our bond grows every day. It's been so much fun learning more about him and finding out what he likes, what works for him, etc. Things like his food, any supplements, training methods, what equipment to use and when, etc. I think he's really getting that I'm Mom and I hope he knows I'm not going anywhere. His whole life has been change after change, just when he gets comfortable, so I really want him to know I'm not going anywhere, and neither is he.

He's also extremely tolerant. He's got a little bit of an infection where no male dog wants to have one (I know... poor guy), but he very happily allows me to wash it out and put ointment on it 2x a day. The vet was shocked at how trusting he is, she was laughing after examining him, saying there are a very small handful of dogs who so willingly let them examine them in that way. He's cool, haha.

Overall, I'm really enjoying him more than I thought I would. I am super lucky to have him. :grin2:

Leigh

·
Registered
421 Posts
Thanks for posting this! He is a handsome and happy boy, and you and he are lucky to have each other.

The pic where he is sleeping belly up tells me that he feels very safe as this is a vulnerable position.

·
Super Moderator
5,238 Posts
What an interesting mix of powerful breeds. He looks great.

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for posting this! He is a handsome and happy boy, and you and he are lucky to have each other.

The pic where he is sleeping belly up tells me that he feels very safe as this is a vulnerable position.
Haha, that picture makes me laugh, he's such a cool dog. We are definitely lucky indeed. :grin2:

What an interesting mix of powerful breeds. He looks great.
I thought so, too! He's got some of the best of each breed. And despite the power, he's a huge sleeper. Absolutely loves sleeping. So much so I thought something was wrong, but my vet assures me he's happy and healthy, just really loves snuggles!

I would never have guessed Rottweiler.
You and me both! Was shocked by that. He's not beefy enough for it, but I suppose he'll fill out. I thought perhaps Doberman, multiple people have suggested that and it sounded so right to me. But I trust these results, they didn't have a picture of him or any information other than his age, name, and location. They told me he would be 78lbs and he is 78lbs as of 6 days ago! They also gave me tid bits like he'd have no hind dew claws (true), etc. I was gob-smacked!

·
Registered
712 Posts
I just love Loki, what a cool guy. Thanks for taking him in and giving him a loving home. It’s fun being a dog mom isn’t it? :D

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just love Loki, what a cool guy. Thanks for taking him in and giving him a loving home. It’s fun being a dog mom isn’t it? :D
Aw, lots of people like to thank me for it but honestly, he makes it so easy and fun that I can't imagine my life without him! It absolutely boggles my mind that such a wonderful dog was going to be thrown out. He's really special, I got really lucky!

And yes, it's super fun! I love spoiling him, taking care of him, learning how to train him, building our bond, etc. My sister recently moved in and it's warmed my heart to see him behave differently with me than he does with her because it makes me feel like he feels safe with me, like he knows he has a mom who will take care of him. I don't think he's ever had that, and I'm so lucky I get to be the one to give it to him!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts