German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of weeks ago I noticed my GSD girl had what it seemed like a scratch near one of her eyes. I took her for a check-up and bloodwork (not related to the scratch, it was just a regular check-up appointment). Everything was fine, the vet noticed that reddish small area near her eyes, but I told him I thought she had hurt herself with the bug screen of a door, cause she uses that side of her head to open it.

He just checked it, and told me just to keep an eye on it. Then a couple of days ago I noticed it started turning a bit dark so I took her to the vet. he did a skin scraping and the result was demodex mange, he said it was localized.

He gave her 0.9 ml of Ivermectin 1% taken orally every 24 hours (she weights 35 kilos, around 77 pounds) and also a supplement with fatty acids and vitamins(this one: http://www.bayersanidadanimal.com.mx/index.php?prod_id=200&file=view_product.tp&expand= ) and then to come back in a month.

He gave him the first dose of ivermectin yesterday.

What do you think of the dosage? Is it high or is it the usual dosage?
I'm not too sure about the supplement, since it has vitamins that she usually gets with her food, but I like the fatty acids thing and it has vitamin C which I have seen people recommend here to boost their immunity.

Anyway I got her a bottle but I'm looking for other supplements I can give her.
What kind of vitamin C is better for dogs? Powdered, buffered?
Also this girl gets diarrhea with fish oil capsules, even just one a day, so I don't know. :(

Coconut oil? What else can I give her?

Thank you in advance. :)

·
Registered
381 Posts
That sounds about right. The usual dose is 0.1 ml per 10 pounds of dog. My dog was on that dose daily for six months.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
This is what it looks like (pic taken just now, the little red spot is where the vet did the scraping):

Also, the vet said it was not contagious, but I'm still worried about the little Poodle that loves to hang out with her, cause well, he's in in very good health but he's almost 13. Right now I'm trying to minimize the time they spent together and also not letting the little guy lick her eye, which he always does, he loves licking her face but ever since I started noticing it was not a regular scratch I tell him no every time he tries.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Demodex is not contagious, but it can't hurt to keep them separated. Do you have her on a good quality food? You are right to try to boost her immune system because demodex is a sign of a weak immune system. A daily dog vitamin might help, but I think the ivermectin will take care of it. My vet called it a wonder drug. She said people in Africa take it to cure African river blindness.

As for fatty acids, I have been giving my girl coconut oil in the morning and salmon oil at night. I give her two squirts of Grizzly brand salmon oil on her food.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for replying, Zookeep!
I had her on Innova adult, but since they had a recall I'm switching foods and right now she's getting half Innova and half Merrick Whole Earth Farms (the Innova bag I still have was not involved in the recall, and there's only very little of it left).

·
Registered
381 Posts
Thank you for replying, Zookeep!
I had her on Innova adult, but since they had a recall I'm switching foods and right now she's getting half Innova and half Merrick Whole Earth Farms (the Innova bag I still have was not involved in the recall, and there's only very little of it left).
Those are both good choices. I am sure she will be fine. How old is she?

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
You don't need Ivermectin to treat localized demodex. Rafi had demodex twice and both times I boosted his immune system and applied a NEEM spray and apple cider vinegar to the spots.

Here is his thread: http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/holistic-homeopathic-practices/86105-demodectic-mange-natural-treatments.html

How old is your dog? I would be more concerned about her immune system if she's over 2. Localized demodex is very common in dogs with immature immune systems but after 2 I think it's a sign there is something else going on with your dog's health.

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
this is for sure "

You don't need Ivermectin to treat localized demodex."

get some Defendex and dab on locally . That is treating the symptom , the external . Important --- do something to enhance the dogs' immune system . Mange mites gain hold when the immune system is depressed.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
She's 5 years old. Her bloodwork came back normal, that was like 2 weeks ago, and she already had a reddish patch in that area.

What other thing could it be that didn't show up in the bloodwork? The vet didn't tell me anything, he did ask her age and told me about mange happening when their defenses go down a bit, but he didn't say anything that I should worry about or anything. Now I'm worried!

What's Defendex?

And right now I'm giving her those tablets that the vet gave her, with fatty acids and vitamins. I went to this health store today to look for Vitamin C, but I came back home empty handed. I still have no clue which one to get, I read that I should get Calcium Ascorbate for dogs, but the only ones I found that had that also had other stuff in the capsules so I'm lost. :(

·
Registered
381 Posts
While it is true that often localized demodex goes away with topical treatments, I think you should go with the vet's advice. None of us have examined your dog. The vet has. Ivermectin is safe and effective in treating demodex. If you want to add the other topical treatments that people are recommending, that is fine.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, Zookeep.
Yes, I don't feel comfortable not giving her the Ivermectin. I really like the way this vet works and he knows all my dogs well so I'll do it as he says, unless I see that she doesn't do well on it or something, but then I would talk to him about it asap. I want to try applying apple cider vinegar though, and the supplements too.

·
Registered
5,379 Posts
She's 5 years old. Her bloodwork came back normal, that was like 2 weeks ago, and she already had a reddish patch in that area.

What other thing could it be that didn't show up in the bloodwork? The vet didn't tell me anything, he did ask her age and told me about mange happening when their defenses go down a bit, but he didn't say anything that I should worry about or anything. Now I'm worried!

What's Defendex?

And right now I'm giving her those tablets that the vet gave her, with fatty acids and vitamins. I went to this health store today to look for Vitamin C, but I came back home empty handed. I still have no clue which one to get, I read that I should get Calcium Ascorbate for dogs, but the only ones I found that had that also had other stuff in the capsules so I'm lost. :(
I believe it is uncommon for a 5 yr. old to get demodex mange (considered a puppy issue). I didn't look at the suppliment link and didn't have to when I saw "bayer" - pharma companies manufacture synthetic vitamins and minerals which also depress the immune system.

Ivermectin is a pesticide and related to avermaectin (lawn pesticide) and you know what they say about keeping your dog of lawns treated with pestcides...

Is/was your dog recently vaccinated (not days, but months)? regularily/yearly? rabies at same time as other and/or are you using any HW/flea prevention????

These also will depress the immune system...reg. vax schedule may have set your dog up for auto-immune issue and perhaps this isn't mange, second opinion? 5 yrs old? this treatment is questionable and is npt getting to the deeper illness.

Bovine colostrum is a consideration as well as a natural b-complex (with B12 in form of methylcobalamin - natural, instead of cyanocobalamin - synthetic), as well b3 in a no-flush, which is good for bacterial skin infections (incl. C-diff, and MRSA)...I will throw some links later:)

·
Registered
381 Posts
I believe it is uncommon for a 5 yr. old to get demodex mange (considered a puppy issue). I didn't look at the suppliment link and didn't have to when I saw "bayer" - pharma companies manufacture synthetic vitamins and minerals which also depress the immune system.

Ivermectin is a pesticide and related to avermaectin (lawn pesticide) and you know what they say about keeping your dog of lawns treated with pestcides...
Of course it is a pesticide. The mites are pests. If you are going to kill the pests, you need a pesticide. That should be obvious.

I found this on the U.S. National Institutes of Health website:

There are few drugs that can seriously lay claim to the title of ‘Wonder drug’, penicillin and aspirin being two that have perhaps had greatest beneficial impact on the health and wellbeing of Mankind. But ivermectin can also be considered alongside those worthy contenders, based on its versatility, safety and the beneficial impact that it has had, and continues to have, worldwide—especially on hundreds of millions of the world’s poorest people.
There is nothing wrong with using a safe and effective drug to treat an illness.

·
Registered
418 Posts
This is just my opinion but if I had the choice to treat it topically without ivermectin I would, Niko had sarcoptic mange about 4yrs ago and was put on ivermectin for 3 weeks all he did was lay on his bed and sleep he didn't even want to go for a walk,I would never to that to him again if I had the choice to treat it more safely. Again this is just my opinion

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No recent vaccines. Not "too often" vaccines either. She does get Cardomec Plus monthly, it's a must here, it's a high risk area for HW. And while I'm giving her the Ivermectin I was told not to give her the Cardomec (which btw also has Ivermectin, but I guess in a much lower dose).

I do agree about the supplement, as I said in my first post I wasn't too happy about it, but right now it's all I have to give her. That was one of the reasons I started this thread, to ask for more supplement options.

I'm sorry to hear about Niko! Hope he's better now!
I do respect your opinion, and everybody else's. It's just that so far she's been doing well. She's been eating and drinking, pooping and peeing well, playful, no vomiting, diarrhea or anything else *knocks on wood*

I do see your point, I don't want to put her at any risk, but most of the info I have found says it's mostly safe at normal dosage (another reason I was asking questions on this thread, to feel safer about the dosage not being on the high side). The vet assured me it was safe too. The minute I notice any strange sign, I will stop and notify the vet immediately.

I care about my dog a lot, and I'm just trying to do the best for her. But I can't really say I feel comfortable following one treatment recommended on the internet instead of the one given by the vet. If he gave her this there must be a reason, right?

Also some of those things you name, I don't even know what they are or where to get them or if I can even get them. I do not live in the US, sometimes I can't even cross the border to the US in weeks, and while I can get some stuff here, there are things I can't. I do have apple cider vinegar, and I can use it on the affected area, and who knows, it might help her heal faster and get off this treatment sooner, I don't know. But for now I can only treat her with what I have now, which is what the vet prescribed.

·
Registered
381 Posts
It is clear that you really care about your dog. Don't worry too much about it, she will be okay. I agree with everyone else that this is an immune system issue, especially because she is 5 years old. Demodex is much more common in puppies. Maybe others here can help with ideas for supplements.

One thing that has not been mentioned is stress. If a dog is under stress, it can affect her immune system. Try to reduce the stress in her life. It might sound funny, but dogs can get stressed. My trainer has me identifying stressful things in her life and trying to prevent them. For example, if your dog reacts to other dogs walking by, try to prevent this. Look for things that make her excited or anxious and try to eliminate them. Try to keep her calm and relaxed.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you, Zookeep!

And that actually crossed my mind, I'm glad you mentioned it. It actually makes a lot of sense.
Let me just say there have been times where we hear very loud... explosions/sounds that are not really near here, thank God, but we can hear them. Sometimes she ends up running for cover under the desk where I work. Due to that she can't stand some other similar sounds, I think. I have this racket that zaps mosquitoes and she reacts the same way when she hears the zapping sound, even if I try to get her away from the area before going after those nasty bugs.

She also may have developed some sort of separation anxiety (I'm no expert, but lately she seems to hate being away from me for long, maybe because of what I mentioned above), and I have been gone for hours due to my work or visits to the hospital, and have to leave her alone and separated from her poodle BFF (they play well, get along, but I don't trust them so much as to leave them alone together while I'm gone, the size difference is big and I don't want to take any chances).
Plus, I myself have been under a lot of stress in the past few months, and some of it may have rubbed off on her as well.

So yeah, I do think that's a possibility.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The dogs here have done best on either bioflavanoids/vit C complex, or sodium ascorbate. They didn't do well on regular vit C, or Ester C either.
Question:
Can I give my recently sick Shepherd Mix, Mostly Shepherd with some Chow(tippy toes through the wet weather)
I am dealing with Sasha suddenly showing major mange symptoms, and now added eye discharge, all along growing grouchy and lethargic.
Not grouchy with us, just her 10 cat mates that she dearly loves and vice versa...Their Kitty Mother and Sasha used to spar for their attention, now nothing..she is just lethargic/grumpy.

I need to know how much Ivermectin for her 60 Ibs and Vitamin C to boost her immune system, and any other advice especially natural or home remedies.
Thank you in advance. IF not able to advise, other than to simply to tell me to go to a vet, then DON'T reply.
I will of course take her when necessary, but Vets are taking advantage of people in this area, I know, because I worked for the BEST.

Thank YOU all otherwise in advance and God Bless.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts